Load Older OS onto a Mac Classic

Reaction score
I have a Mac Classic Model M1420.
It has two Systems and Finders loaded on the Hard Drive.
System 6.0.7 and System 7.5.3 with their respective Finders.

Presently, the computer starts in System 7.5.3 , but this takes a bunch of RAM.

I would like for it to use only System 6.0.7.

Is this possible ?

How can I make it so ?

Reaction score
If I remember correctly there is a System Panel call Startup, you just choose the other Boot OS.

Reaction score
Actually, with machines from this time, you're not supposed to have more than ONE System Folder on any single hard drive unless it is partitioned, with ONE System Folder on each (one for System 6, the other for System 7). I'm surprised you aren't having your Mac throw fits now. If you're going to stick with System 6 just to save RAM, upgrade to System 6.0.8. It's more stable and handles printing issues much better. I downloaded the disk images for 6.0.8 a couple of years ago, so it's probably still available.

Come to think of it, if you're going to stick with System 7, you should either back-track to 7.2.x or upgrade to 7.6. The latter doesn't hog memory as badly and works well on my old SE, which is virtually identical to the Classic. At any rate, if you don't have 4 MB of RAM, then Google Low End Mac. I believe they still carry the 30-pin SIMMS these machines need.

Ask a Question