iTunes issues

Reaction score
Greetings
I have recently obtain a MacBook Pro using Mac OSX 10.6.8. It seems I cannot upgrade from this version of operating system which in turn will not let me upgrade to a newer version of itunes.
My problem is that I have copied my itunes account from my PC over to my mac. Now when I try to open itunes I get the message that I need to download a new version of itunes. I try to do this but with no luck. I am wondering if my MacBook Pro is too old (it belonged to my daughter) and there is nothing I can do. I am new to using the Mac system but I do have an iPhone, admittedly a 4S.
Any one have any solutions???
Thanking you in advance
David

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Visit this site, type in your serial number, and let us know what the exact model it reports for your MacBook Pro:

Apple - Check Your Service and Support Coverage

We can then determine any/all updates for OS X that your Mac supports, and guide you to resolving the issue.

C
Hi Cory

I have carried out your request and can report the following...

MacBookPro (13 inch, Mid 2009)

Thank you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, that model does support the latest version of Mac OS X and iTunes. You will need to download and install OS X 10.11 El Capitan from the App Store. That will install the latest version of iTunes as well.

-What processor speed - 2.26 or 2.53 GHz?
-How much RAM - 2 GB or 4GB?
-How much free hard drive space in GB?

El Capitan will run on 2 GB, but 4 GB or more is better. Your MBP will support up to 8 GB.

Before you do that however, we strongly urge you to make sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data. Do you have an external hard drive, and have you been using Time Machine?

C

Reaction score
Model Name:MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:MacBookPro5,5

Processor Name:Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed:2.26 GHz

Number Of Processors:1

Total Number Of Cores:2

L2 Cache:3 MB

Memory:2 GB

Bus Speed:1.07 GHz
OK, that model does support the latest version of Mac OS X and iTunes. You will need to download and install OS X 10.11 El Capitan from the App Store. That will install the latest version of iTunes as well.

-What processor speed - 2.26 or 2.53 GHz?
-How much RAM - 2 GB or 4GB?
-How much free hard drive space in GB?

El Capitan will run on 2 GB, but 4 GB or more is better. Your MBP will support up to 8 GB.

Before you do that however, we strongly urge you to make sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data. Do you have an external hard drive, and have you been using Time Machine?

C

Hi Cory

Thank you for helping me on this.

Will El Capitan run on these specs?

I do have over a 100 GB of memory left.

Model Name:MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:MacBookPro5,5

Processor Name:Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed:2.26 GHz

Number Of Processors:1

Total Number Of Cores:2

L2 Cache:3 MB

Memory:2 GB

Bus Speed:1.07 GHz

I will do as you say and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

David

Reaction score
Well, I have in the last week upgraded to E C using the same mac book pro 10.6.8 ,back up ok, upgraded ok,
but it is another learning process, The Photo is a disaster for me, I have posted my problems.
I was surprised to find all my i-tunes and pics upgraded ok. You really have to re-learn with E C
good luck

Reaction score
KiwiDave,

As Cory mentioned, 4 GB of RAM is best (at least). Also, the 100 GB of free space you have on your internal drive is good also.

Also, as Cory so correctly stated, you need to be making backups to an external drive. Time Machine is OK, but software that makes a bootable backup/clone of your system is better. The two best for that purpose are:

SuperDuper! - http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html (note that you will first need to obtain version 2.7.1, given that you are using OS 10.6.8. Then, after installing El Capitan, you'll need to upgrade to V2.8).

Carbon Copy Cloner - https://bombich.com/

I use (and swear by!) SuperDuper!, and it has, at times, "saved my bacon", so to speak.

Also, when you download El Capitan from the App Store, you should get Version 10.11.3, which is the latest version.

However, before upgrading, you need to insure whether any third party applications that you are using need an upgrade to be compatible with El Capitan. Also, have you been performing any disk cleanup/maintenance on your internal drive? That is also important.

Ask a Question