Issues with USB 3.0 Port (s) on my late 2012 Mac Mini

Reaction score
I am really not sure if my issue is with the Mac OS, hardware, or whatever. But based on circumstances, this might be the most appropriate place to post my issue. So, here goes.

I have a late 2012 Mac Mini, and a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air. Both machines have USB 3.0 ports (Mac Mini has 4 of them. MacBook Air has 2). I am using the latest version of El Capitan, OS 10.11.6, on both machines. For the Mac Mini, I am using 3 of the ports, with the following devices connected: an Apple keyboard (USB 2.0), a USB Bus for the hub (USB 2.0), and the little receiver for my Logitech mouse (USB 3.0). For the MacBook Air, I am using one of them, for the little receiver with another Logitech Mouse (USB 3.0) that I have. I have 2 USB 3.0 Flash Drives, and whenever I plug either one into the last, available USB 3.0 port on the Mac Mini, it does not "function properly", in that my mouse becomes frozen. That's exactly opposite of what happens on the MacBool Air. There are no issues at all plugging in either Flash Drive to the available USB 3.0 port on the MacBook Air.

Within the last week, I purchased a Samsung 850 Pro 512 gig SSD, and installed it inside an Orico external case, with USB 3.0 connectivity. But, just like the flash drives, I am having issues plugging it in to the available USB 3.0 port on the Mac Mini, but not on the MacBook Air.

I can plug such devices into one of the available ports on the USB 2.0 hub I am using with the Mac Mini, and they work "fine", except of course I lose USB 3.0 connectivity rates.

The baffling thing is that the USB 3.0 connection for the Logitech mouse I am using with the Mini works fine.

I also checked to see if there were any firmware updates for the Mac Mini, but there are none.

I am thinking of purchasing a USB 3.0 bus to use with the MacMini, but I don't know if I'll have issues. Right now, I am using 3 of the ports on the hub: one for my Canon Printer, and one for an external DVD drive. The connectivity for both of them is USB 2.0. And of course, there is the USB 2.0 connection from the hub to the Mac Mini.

When I did a SuperDuper! backup of my MacBook Air to the new Samsung SSD (via USB 3.0), it went fast. And, when I restarted the MacBook Air from that backup, it was fast, again via USB 3.0. But alas, I currently do not have that with the SuperDuper! backup I did for the Mac Mini to another partition on the Samsung SSD. That of course is due to the USB 2.0 connectivity.

By the way, I even tried switching the connectivity to the USB 3.0 ports on the Mini, moving the one for the mouse to the last available port, and trying the Flash Drives and the new external SSD, but still have the same issues.

I of course do not yet know if any of this will get "corrected" with OS 10.12 (I doubt it). If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, etc., I would appreciate it. It is certainly driving me nuts!

Reaction score
A possible "update" to the above: If I purchase a USB 3.0 hub (will have 7 USB ports), and plug the USB 2.0 connector for my Apple keyboard into one of the ports on the hub, then of course connecting the hub to the Mac Mini (via USB 3.0), and leaving the Logitech connector as is (and plugging in the USB 2.0 connectors for my Canon printer and the external DVD drive (that device is off about 98% of the time) to the hub), maybe that will "help", in that the two (and only two) connections to the Mac Mini will be via USB 3.0.

Sure is "confusing", with all this USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 stuff!

Reaction score
Well, problem solved! I purchased a 7-port USB 3.0 hub, connected it to one of the USB 3.0 ports on my Mac MIni, and now when I plug in either a flash drive or my new external hard drive via the last available USB 3.0 port on the MIni, everything works fine. My mouse is no longer "frozen" after plugging in either device. As before, the keyboard is connected to one of the USB 3.0 ports (via USB 2.0), and the little receiver (via USB 3.0) is also connected to another USB 3.0 port. Also, the printer works fine connected to the hub (via a USB 2.0 connection), as does my external DVD drive. So, I am a happy camper!

If anyone wants to purchase my 4-port USB 2.0 hub, just let me know.

Ask a Question