Installing 10.6.6 on a mid-2011 iMac w/ original SSD

Reaction score
I just bought a mid-2011 27" iMac with 3.4 processor and original BTO 256 GB SSD w/ 1 TB HDD.

This Mac currently has 10.9.5 on it, but I bought it specifically because it was the last and most powerful iMac which was made to run my preferred OS, 10.6.8.

To that end, I purchased 2011 iMac 10.6.6 install disks, and proceeded to perform a clean install earlier this evening. I did not get very far, because it will not allow me to use the SSD as the destination disk for the install, warning me that this machine cannot boot up from the SSD, even though the SSD is the current startup disk, with the 10.9.5!

Is this correct? Am I missing something here?

How can I install 10.6.6 on the SSD (which I assume was the factory setup)?

Thanks much

Reaction score
The disks are gray. Original iMac 2011 install disks.

I used the Disk Utility on my 2011 install disk to erase the SSD, and then the install went smoothly.

Next problem: The applications will not install!

Oh well, I suppose I can just copy them from the old computer. iPhoto is the only one that's important to me.

Reaction score
Regarding the installation of applications, the ones from Apple (whether installed as part of the installation, or via updates) should be fine. As for third party ones, I don't think there are many that are not compatible with OS 10.6.8 and above.

Speaking of OS 10.6.8, if you only have 10.6.6 on your iMac, you should upgrade to OS 10.6.8. And, you need to install the Combo updater. You can get that from here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

One associated question: when you used Disk Utility on the OS 10.6.6 DVD, did you do a "7 pass" Erase (I think that is what it's called)? That would have definitely got rid of everything that was on the SSD before. Only saying this, due to your issues with trying to install applications.

Reaction score
No need to follow any links for 10.6.8. Software Update is all that's needed.

No, I did not do a 7 pass erase. Just an ordinary erase and reformat.

Reaction score
No need to follow any links for 10.6.8. Software Update is all that's needed.

No, I did not do a 7 pass erase. Just an ordinary erase and reformat.

The software update "route" will only get you the "incremental" updater. In fact, you'll only "get to" 10.6.7. It will not lead you to the Combo one. It is always better to get the Combo Updater. And, the Combo Updater will contain ALL the features in the 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 incremental up daters (plus any Security Updates that were offered since 10.6.6). If you want to use it, that's your decision.

And, the "quick", ordinary Erase might not have been good enough.

Last edited:

Ask a Question