Installed new switch and now Fiery RIP won't see it

Reaction score
I had a hodgepodge of routers under my desk. I finally purchased a NetGear 16-port switch. Plugged everything into the switch and the network is running great except for one thing. The fiery RIP to our Ricoh press no longer works. I can't print from any workstation nor can I get Command Central to connect to the RIP. I can't ping the RIP either. I called Ricoh and they said I broke the connection and want to charge me $200/hour to come and reconnect RIP to new switch. Is there any way to do that myself? That's a lot of money for what will be a 15 minute visit from tech support. I already have a service contract but lo and behold, upgrading hardware that affects the RIP is a violation of my contract.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry we didn't get back to you sooner.

Because of the proprietary nature of the setup of Fiery RIPs, it may prove very difficult to assist via the Internet, without actually being able to see the hardware/software first-hand.

That said, simply replacing an unmanaged switch should not have changed anything in the way the RIP was seen on the network, since it is a pass-thru type networking device. If you had multiple switches/hubs previously, maybe one of them was a managed type switch/hub that held a static IP for the Fiery?

C

Reaction score
My mistake replacing a router/switch with just a switch. Losing the router messed everything up. Now I know that you always need a router. I read all that stuff about router, switch and hub and it just doesn't stick. I also formatted my HD same weekend I installed the switch. I couldn't understand why I no longer had wifi. Thought it was because of OS install. Of course, when I put the original router back, it solved my wifi issue and my connectivity issues.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Since the previous equipment was a router, that would definitely contribute to the issue, not to mention any settings that were lost during the OS reinstall.

So, the issue is resolved, and you are back up and running?

C

Ask a Question