iMac supports only 100Hz for a 144Hz monitor

Reaction score
Hello,
I've bought a new 144Hz monitor, but when I connected it to my iMac (21.5-inch, late 2013, running OS X 10.10.4) I could only set it to 100Hz. I tried the same on Windows 7 using Boot Camp and I can use 144Hz so my hardware isn't the problem.
My question now is, is there a way I can use 144Hz on OS X?
Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which brand/model is the new display?
-What is the need for the 144Hz rate - gaming?
-How are you connecting it to the iMac - Apple Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter?
-Does your display have a Dual-Link DVI connector?

Since your iMac came out before the 144Hz rate was available, you are probably stuck at the 100Hz limit within OS X, though I have heard that some people have had success with Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter.

C

Reaction score
Thank you for your fast answer.

-Which brand/model is the new display?
It's the Acer XB240H.

-What is the need for the 144Hz rate - gaming?
The 144Hz rate is for gaming (CS:GO).

-How are you connecting it to the iMac - Apple Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter?
I'm using a Display Port cable with a Display Port to Mini Display Port adapter.

-Does your display have a Dual-Link DVI connector?
Yes it has a Dual-Link DVI connector.

As for the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter, I'm not sure if it is 100€ worth to have those 44Hz more regarding that the Monitor itself wasn't cheap.

Looks like I'll have to play CS:GO on Windows 7 and do the coding on OS X, if there's no cheap or software side solution for this.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

I think you have a good solution - keep the extra money and do your gaming in Windows.

Have you run any games in OS X at the 100Hz setting? I bet there wouldn't be that much difference between it and the 144Hz. Also, I have heard that Steam games run better in Windows versus Mac OS X anyway.

C

Reaction score
Yes, I tried Counter Strike on 100Hz (OS X) and 144Hz (Windows) and it feels better with 144Hz.
And you're right, I better play on Windows and do the other stuff on OS X instead of paying extra money.
Thanks for your nice help.

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an iMac 27' Late 2015 with the AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 Mo graphics card. I play the game : Rainbow Six Siege from Ubisoft, and i want to buy a 144hz screen, Will it work via Windows 10 bootcamp ? Thx for your answers.

Ask a Question