iMac dell/dell3330dn printer

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently bought a new iMac and can't get my dell 3330dn printer to work with it. Ive downloaded a driver from dell, but when I go to print, add printer, its not on the add printer page. the installer said it was installed but I just can't sort it out. I was hoping someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?

Dell Support - Printer Driver Compatibility List for MAC OSX 10.11 (El Capitan)
Dell 3330dn Mono Laser Printer - Driver

A quick look on the Dell website at the above links shows that your particular model isn't compatible with the latest version of OS X 10.11 El Capitan. It does have a driver available for OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Since the printer was originally released back in 2009, that could be part of the problem.

Have you tied contacting Dell Support directly?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?

Dell Support - Printer Driver Compatibility List for MAC OSX 10.11 (El Capitan)
Dell 3330dn Mono Laser Printer - Driver

A quick look on the Dell website at the above links shows that your particular model isn't compatible with the latest version of OS X 10.11 El Capitan. It does have a driver available for OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Since the printer was originally released back in 2009, that could be part of the problem.

Have you tied contacting Dell Support directly?

C
Hi, it's the El capitan os. I was told at the shop that it would work with my printer. Is there anything I can do.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
-I assume you have tried connecting it directly via a USB cable, correct?
-Did you restart your Mac after installing the driver that you downloaded?

But, since it is not showing up in the Printer dialog, the best thing may be to contact Dell Support directly.

C

Reaction score

But, since it is not showing up in the Printer dialog, the best thing may be to contact Dell Support directly.

C
Yes

C
yes it's connected by USB. I did restart after download. Have also been on to dell, for an hour, they couldn't help.
I have the original driver disc. It's supposed to be a plug and play.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information. I understand it is supposed to be plug-and-play, but it was manufactured to be compatible with Mac OS 9.2 and OS X 10.2-10.6, which are now five major OS X revisions old or more. Sometimes older peripherals simply aren't supported by the manufacturer past a certain point.

If Dell Support couldn't get it to work, then we probably couldn't add anything further to the troubleshooting effort. You could try another USB cable, in case the one you are currently using has failed. Also, you can check in  > About This Mac > System Report... > Hardware > USB to see of the printer is even recognized as being connected to the Mac via the USB cable.

C

Reaction score
We
OK, thanks for the additional information. I understand it is supposed to be plug-and-play, but it was manufactured to be compatible with Mac OS 9.2 and OS X 10.2-10.6, which are now five major OS X revisions old or more. Sometimes older peripherals simply aren't supported by the manufacturer past a certain point.

If Dell Support couldn't get it to work, then we probably couldn't add anything further to the troubleshooting effort. You could try another USB cable, in case the one you are currently using has failed. Also, you can check in  > About This Mac > System Report... > Hardware > USB to see of the printer is even recognized as being connected to the Mac via the USB cable.

C
ll ll

Well, I don't know what's happened here, but I disconnected the printer, started again and it's working. Thanks for your suggestions. I thought it was going to be a new printer.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That's great news! I am so glad it's working for you.

I know how frustrating these things can be.

C

Ask a Question