iMac core i3 display issue

Reaction score
I am looking for a bit of advice for my IMac i3 3.06 21.5" mid-2010. A few weeks ago I came home and my computer had turned off(was left on before I left the house). So upon trying to restart it there was no boot pong but I could hear the fans start. I removed the power plug and left it for an hour or so and came back and tried again, PONG. It started up and I was happy to continue on browsing the web. In the back of my head I knew there was an issue.

Fast forward a few days and the same issue happened. I tried leaving it for an hour again with no success. I've been pretty busy the last while so i finally went into the Apple Store and tried find out what the issue was. So the person helping me plugged it in and asked my symptoms and after I told em what happened they jumped to the conclusion that it's either the logic board or the LED. I knew they were going to be costly fixes, one valued at approx 500$ and one at 700$ approx. I half expected it to be the logic board as I had one go in my MacBook pro few years ago.

So I took it home and the tech said if i was planning on buying a new computer if it was thAt expensive than I should try selling the unit online for parts. I took it upon myself to try a few different things to see if I could get it to boot up for me again. So I took out all the RAM but one stick and PONG it started up. UnfortunAtely with no display though. I can see it via Bluetooth on my iPad and I had it playing music too. I looked up a few way to check for display issues. I found a forum that said check the 4 diagnostic lights under the LED. The first 2 lights are on but the 3rd and fourth aren't.

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice to proceed - could it still be the logic board even though the LED is getting power? Or could it still be the LED still and not the graphics card? From what I know about Mac computers it looks like it is the graphics card which can be replaced on this model. I just don't wAnt to purchase a new graphics card and install it to find that the LED or logic board are failed.

Thanks for your time!
Cory

Ask a Question