How to open an RDP file with a Mac

Reaction score
Need an RDP connection to a remote PC. I've downloaded the Microsoft Remote Desktop app, but when I try to use it to open the RDP file I get the message "The RDP file is not valid. Notify your network administrator." and then immediately after pressing ok, "The URL is not valid. Notify your network administrator." I know the RDP file works as I've used it on PCs, but can't get it to work on my Mac. Any advice?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like the file is corrupted, or there is either something between you and the server like a firewall or a certificate that isn't configured correctly.

You will probably need to get IP and login information directly from your IT person, or the person in charge of the server/PC.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like the file is corrupted, or there is either something between you and the server like a firewall or a certificate that isn't configured correctly.

You will probably need to get IP and login information directly from your IT person, or the person in charge of the server/PC.

C
Hi Cory,

Thanks! I don't think the file would be corrupted - I'm taking it straight off an email and I've used it recently on a couple different PCs and there's been no issue there.

Re: the certificate, in the past, there was a certificate that I could download (a pfx file?) and that would allow me to use the RDP. More recently they changed it so the certificate is within the connection, and since then I haven't been able to get it to work on the Mac. Unfortunately they don't support Macs.

What could I do with IP/login information?

Thanks for your help!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
The IP info may help solving the "URL is not valid" issue.

Unfortunately, I am not very versed in Microsoft Remote Desktop and RDP connections. It sounds like they may have changed something with the server, or the RDP file is not cross-platform compatible - works on PCs, but not Macs.

-Are you using the latest Microsoft Remote Desktop version 8.0.32?
-Have you tried looking at the settings and creating a new connection from scratch, instead of using the file you downloaded from email?
-Is this a work-related server, or private/public?

C

Ask a Question