How to get rid of virus/malware

Reaction score
I clicked on an unfamiliar website and windows started popping up saying "There is a .net framework file missing due to some harmful virus". I looked it up and it came from some malware. How do I get rid of the malware? I'm running OSX 10.7.5

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It's good you aren't getting the pop-ups any longer. Both of my suggestion links will help you remove any malicious software that may have been installed on your Mac.

Let us know how it goes.

C

Reaction score
I got the popups again, and tried adware medic, but it couldn't find any adware. The first suggestion seemed too complex. What should I try now?

Reaction score
That Apple link would be the way to go.
I tried the Safari Preferences method, and everything was fine. I looked at the "go to folder" method and got confused. Where am I even supposed to type the "/systems/library/framework" part?

Reaction score
Understand, as I just went through a similar circumstance. I had contacted a Bit Coin-related virus on my Mac Book Air via Google Chrome (did not have the issue on my Mac Mini, and I run all the same software). I used Sophos to remove it, but this past weekend, I had an issue with my Air. Fortunately, I had been making SuperDuper! backups/clones for both of my machines (do it every week, along with some other useful and important disk maintenance/repair tasks. What I eventually did was:

1. Boot from one of my SuperDuper! backups (last week's Air backup).

2. Used Disk Utility there to Erase, Format, and Partition the Air's 256 gig SSD.

3. Installed a fresh version of Yosemite.

4. Re-booted the Air from that installation, and upgraded Yosemite to the latest version, 10.10.3.

5. Used Migration Assistant to "migrate/copy" all my applications, files, folders, etc. (all non-OS related) from the Mac Mini backup I had just completed earlier.

5. Upgraded the version of Safari.

Things are now fine with my Mac Book Air.

I rarely get a virus on any of my machines (in fact, I can't remember the last time I got one). This Bit Coin-related one was strange, though, as 1) I have never done anything associated with Bit Coin, and 2) again, I did not have the issue with my Mac Mini.

In your case, if you don't have a good, clean backup, maybe someone could recommend an excellent virus removal tool.

Reaction score
Understand, as I just went through a similar circumstance. I had contacted a Bit Coin-related virus on my Mac Book Air via Google Chrome (did not have the issue on my Mac Mini, and I run all the same software). I used Sophos to remove it, but this past weekend, I had an issue with my Air. Fortunately, I had been making SuperDuper! backups/clones for both of my machines (do it every week, along with some other useful and important disk maintenance/repair tasks. What I eventually did was:

1. Boot from one of my SuperDuper! backups (last week's Air backup).

2. Used Disk Utility there to Erase, Format, and Partition the Air's 256 gig SSD.

3. Installed a fresh version of Yosemite.

4. Re-booted the Air from that installation, and upgraded Yosemite to the latest version, 10.10.3.

5. Used Migration Assistant to "migrate/copy" all my applications, files, folders, etc. (all non-OS related) from the Mac Mini backup I had just completed earlier.

5. Upgraded the version of Safari.

Things are now fine with my Mac Book Air.

I rarely get a virus on any of my machines (in fact, I can't remember the last time I got one). This Bit Coin-related one was strange, though, as 1) I have never done anything associated with Bit Coin, and 2) again, I did not have the issue with my Mac Mini.

In your case, if you don't have a good, clean backup, maybe someone could recommend an excellent virus removal tool.

Thanks, though I don't have a backup, or Yosemite, and I'm not enough of a tech person to know how to re-boot things or use Migration Assistant.

Ask a Question