Hijacked by Bing

Reaction score
I've been using Google search engine for years on my imac which has OS 10.9.4. No problems. Two weeks ago, Bing replaced itself instead of Google as search engine. I changed my home page back ok. System shows Google selected as search engine, but even when I reset it to Yahoo or Google, this happens: Address line says "Search Google or enter an address", but when I type in a search and enter, the search gets taken over by Bing, and what I get is a Bing search. How do I get rid of Bing? Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
It's probably using your history or cache to populate the list. These can cleared from the Safari menu.

Reaction score
Hi Kaveman,

Thanks, but I tried clearing from the Safari menu...no effect. If I type in a search, before I do that my browser says I'm typing into Google: but as soon as I hit "enter" instead of Google doing the search, it goes to Bing and Bing does the search! Really kind of amazing and annoying! Any other ideas?

Thx,
Raven1

Reaction score
System shows Google selected as search engine, but even when I reset it to Yahoo or Google
Just to check, Safari menu > Preferences > General > Default search engine: is set to Google?

Reaction score
Hi Kaveman,

Yea, the default search engine is set to Google. I actually went in and changed it to Bing and tried it out: the search is a Bing search. I changed it to Yahoo: It said the default search engine was Yahoo, but when I did a search, it changed the search to a Bing search! I changed it again to Google: the default said it was Google, but when I did a search, although I typed it in and the space said "Search Google or enter an address", when I did that and hit enter, the search began and was immediately hijacked by Bing and came up as a Bing search. Wow.

Any ideas?

Raven1

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Also, look in Safari > Preferences... > Extensions and see if there are any toolbars or Bing-related items installed there.

C

cgl

Reaction score
The exact same thing is happening to me. No extensions that are Bing or Bing related. Set the search preference to google but it keeps flipping back. Any other ideas?

Reaction score
The exact same thing is happening to me. No extensions that are Bing or Bing related. Set the search preference to google but it keeps flipping back. Any other ideas?

I think the extension is called search genius. I deleted it from my extensions, and now Google is my default again.

Ask a Question