Help!!..

Reaction score
Hi,
i have a macbook pro A1286, suddenly, its overheating. it comes on, after 2-3 min the screen goes off.. but the fans are still spinning indicating its still on .. i opened it a saw that a component with the no. "H5GQ1H24AFA" was the one overheating. googled it and found out its a DRAM chip .. please, anyone with ideas of a solution !?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That MacBook Pro model number could be one of several different 15" versions from 2008-2012. We will need the exact model, which you can get by entering your serial number here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage and letting us know what the full name is.

That part number seems to be video DRAM, so I would lean towards failing logic board/video.

-Is that part soldered to the logic board?
-How did you determine that is the overheating part?
-Is there any liquid or physical damage to the Mac?

Depending on the exact model of your MBP, there is a possibility it is part of the MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That MacBook Pro model number could be one of several different 15" versions from 2008-2012. We will need the exact model, which you can get by entering your serial number here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage and letting us know what the full name is.

That part number seems to be video DRAM, so I would lean towards failing logic board/video.

-Is that part soldered to the logic board?
-How did you determine that is the overheating part?
-Is there any liquid or physical damage to the Mac?

Depending on the exact model of your MBP, there is a possibility it is part of the MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues.

C

Got this from the site

Macbook pro 15" 2.53 Ghz

the part is soldered to the board .. and it has some sort of glue on it ..

place my finger in it .. and it was like fire ..

there are other chips like it .. near it .. but there fine ..

that particular one is the oneoverheating ..

and no, the mac has no physical or liquid damage.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
There should be more information after MacBook Pro on that site that will exactly identify the model. From the processor speed you gave, it should read MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008) or MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.53 GHz, Mid 2009) or MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010). I am going to assume you meant MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.53 GHz, Mid 2009).

Since there aren't any user-serviceable parts inside your Mac, you can easily cause static damage by opening the case and touching the internal components directly without the proper anti-static setup. In addition, simply feeling the temperature of the chips on the logic board doesn't identify those that may possibly be overheating or operating outside their design range. They can easily reach various or "untouchable" temperatures during normal operation. The cooling fans work in conjunction with the aluminum housing to dissipate heat. If it is a true overheating situation, normally the entire system would power off to prevent damage. Since your fans continue to work and the system stays powered on, it could simply be failure of individual components. Because the chip is soldered to the logic board, it does indeed sound like the video memory. It is not a component-level repair - it would require a replacement of the entire logic board.

Without additional diagnostic test results, it would be impossible to determine the actual cause of the issue. You could try Using Apple Hardware Test to see if that will identify any issues, or take it into an Apple Store or third-party Apple Authorized Serve Provider for full hardware diagnostics.

We don't recommend investigating internal issues like this without the proper training/certification, as you can cause damage to your Mac or loss of data.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question