Help With Choosing a Compatible Flash Drive

Reaction score
My question is actually part hardware-related, and part software-related. I have two (not too old) USB Flash Drives: a Sony 2 GB one, and a PNY Attache 8 GB one. About two or so months ago, when my "dying" 17" MacBook Pro was working, both of those drives were recognized on that machine, and it was running OS 10.6.8, the last version of Snow Leopard. (The battery has subsequently become warped). But, on both my late 2012 Mac Mini and mid 2013 13" Mac Book Air, both running OS 10..9.4 (and later on 10.9.5), neither machine would recognize either Flash Drive. For the Mac Mini, this makes no difference which USB port I try, nor via the USB hub I am using. Any other USB devices that I have connected to any of those USB ports work fine (my Logitech mouse, my Canon Inkjet printer, a 1 TB external hard drive, and when I need it, an external DVD drive). For the Mac Book Air, it has only one USB port, but again the same issue exists. I just tried both USB Flash Drives on my Mac Mini, now running Yosemite, and still neither of them are recognized.

Back when I was using Mavericks, and having issues, I did read that there were some problems with Flash Drives and Mavericks.

I am therefore wondering if someone can recommend a specific brand/model of Flash Drive that is guaranteed to work with Yosemite. I am looking to purchase one that is at least 16 gig in size.

Any advice, information, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
honestone

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bit Strange but flash drive may have been damaged. As of now any flash drive should work with Yosemite since no issues have been reported yet.

Reaction score
Bit Strange but flash drive may have been damaged. As of now any flash drive should work with Yosemite since no issues have been reported yet.

If they had not worked with my 17" MacBook Pro using OS 10.6.8, then I would agree.

In any event, I will buy one soon.

Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Well, it looks like, tompatrick, you are correct about the PNY Flash Drive. Interestingly, it would not mount on my Mac Book Air, but the Sony 2 GB Flash Drive did. Yet, the Sony drive will still not mount on my Mac Mini. However, based on what I describe below, I suspect there is some sort of device conflict on my Mac Mini. Let me explain.

Earlier this afternoon, I went to a local Best Buy, close to where I live. I tried the PNY drive on two Macs there, and also on a Windows machine, and it would not mount. So, I suspect this verifies what tompatrick said previously, that the PNY drive is damaged. I subsequently purchased a San Disk 32 Gig Ultra 3.0 Flash Drive that was on sale for $17.99 + tax (also had a $10 Best Buy Gift Card, so it only cost me $4.70 total. Super Price!). Got home and tried it on two USB ports on my Mac Mini. Interestingly, it would somehow make my Logitech M310 mouse behave in a bizarre matter. Disk Utility would still not recognize it, but when I go to System Preferences, select System Information, and then look under USB, the drive is "visible".

Yet, when I plugged in the San Disk drive on my Mac Book Air in one of its' USB ports, the drive is completely recognized. That is, it is visible on the desktop, and Disk Utility sees it. The only USB device that I am using with my Mac Book Air is a Logitech M325 mouse. I subsequently erased the drive, formatted, and partitioned the drive. I plan on installing Yosemite on one of the partitions, so that I can use it in an emergency with my Mac Book Air, and especially for the European trip my wife and I will be taking starting near Christmas.

The remaining dilemma is which USB device (or devices) connected to my Mac Mini is causing the apparent conflict with the San Disk and Sony Flash Drives. Since I'm am a true "novice" on using the keyboard to navigate in the Finder, not sure if I can remove the USB receiver for the mouse, and see what happens. (My Mac Book Air, of course, has a Track Pad, and thus I can navigate it without a mouse (but with some hassles)).

Last edited:

Ask a Question