Help needed can't get my time machine back ups to work.

Reaction score
I've now been trying for over a week to get my machine up and running. I've cleaned the machine and rebooted with a fresh system several times and works OK for a short while but then hangs.

I think I had a virus on the machine and it eventually crashed and refused to work. I've tried disk utility to erase the disc and tried a clean OS as well as trying to restore from a back up none of which give me back a stable machine.

I tried mackeeper to remove viruses from time machine with my macbook but it won't let me alter any files.

I then tried on a clean install to copy the last back up so I could remove the virus and then reinstall but it won't copy from time machine to the iMac drive.

I have also tried earlier back ups (back to June) I usually get about a day out of it (after doing a fresh virus check) before it eventually hangs.

Am I having hardware problems the iMac is just over a year old. Is there anything else I can try I've tried safe mode, clearing the drive before a fresh OS install from the net?

I don't want to lose all my old data.

I managed to save some to the iMac but things like all my mailboxes

Reaction score
There is no way to "remove virus", mackeeper is almost malware it's so bad.

You should do a clean install from the DVDs and copy just your documents back in from your backups.

Reaction score
Thanks, the main problem isn't so much the documents as I have most of these saved on a desktop folder that I managed to get over to the laptop more things like my email history as I can't find a way of importing that from time machine. also where are photos from iPhoto stored on time machine?

Ask a Question