Help for a freelancer designing from a boat

Reaction score
Hi
Is there anyone out there who lives and works from a boat? I need advice on how best to set up a studio on a barge. I have trouble uploading/downloading large files from my current land based office due to poor broadband speeds. Would I have to use a satelite dish on a boat? Any ideas?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Yes, you would need some form of satellite Internet for use on the boat, unless you are docked somewhere that has strong Wi-Fi available. Unfortunately, most satellite Internet providers are very slow in comparison to land-based solutions, and can be somewhat expensive. You could also use a cellular W-Fi hotspot from a standalone unit or your cell phone. But, that can also get expensive depending on the service plan.

-What kind of studio - graphic design, audio/video, etc?

C

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for replying. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be a cheap option!
It's for traditional graphic design but the files I work with can be enormous - often almost a GB in size. I may have to resort to saving onto a memory stick and relying on royal mail - delivery times should be similar.........

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Yes, the flash drive solution may be a better route unfortunately.

Keep us in the loop.

C

Ask a Question