Hallo All :-)

Reaction score
HI, I'm Linda - one of those so called Silver Surfers :-( Am addicted to my Mac, iPad and iPhone but a bit woozy when it comes to handling settings. I was once told if it's not broken, don't fix it - but no one said it loud enough to me for it to register! Appreciate any guidance as how I find out the answers to my problems. :)

Reaction score
Welcome, Linda! I am new also, and am willing to help any user when I can. I am "attached" to my Mac Mini and Mac Book Air.

Reaction score
Oh great. Help always appreciated. Would you have you any idea why my emails have disappeared ? They are not in Trash nor are they on the server. I think I may have 'fiddled' with settings on my iPhone and perhaps its affected the Mac and iPad when they were synced.

Reaction score
Oh great. Help always appreciated. Would you have you any idea why my emails have disappeared ? They are not in Trash nor are they on the server. I think I may have 'fiddled' with settings on my iPhone and perhaps its affected the Mac and iPad when they were synced.

Unfortunately, I don't sync any devices to my Macs. I don't even sync EMails between my Mac Mini and my Mac Book Air. But, if you could provide some more detailed information, that would help.

1. What EMail program/programs are you using on each device?

2. Is your EMail account from your ISP POP or IMAP?

3. How did you set up the synching?

Reaction score
Hi Linda and welcome to,

Re iPhone settings check the auto delete button is not checked (Green) as my snap shot, if it is that may be the problem.

Also double check how you have mail accounts set up on Mac, re deletion from server.
Also as asked which mail provider / providers are you using?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you - checked the picture and I have it set to off. I have two BT email addresses set up on a Yahoo SMTP server and three iCloud email accounts set up on iCloud SMTP server. I sync wirelessly and also by USB from iPad and phone to my mac for photos and iTunes. 'Fraid I don't back up as often as I should tho I have the basic 5gb free turned on. I had all my husbands emails on one of my accounts so then I set up two for him ( as if they were sub accounts of mine) and transferred them across months ago. Last week they all disappeared. I they were deleted they should be in trash. They are not. And I looked on the server and they aren't there either. Annoying for him and a puzzle for me.

Reaction score
Hi,

Feel you should contact BT as a friend in the UK went though a similar issue a month back when BT changed there email system. She lost all emails prior to August 15th.

Reaction score
Well thats a thought, thank you. Not sure if I can lay it at BT's door . My husbands original emails were on a BT email account of mine but after that, when I set up two iCloud email accounts for him, the newer emails were all directed straight to those. And it is those accounts that have been affected. My main iCloud account in my name has been unaffected. Because we have our line in through BT, does that mean if BT has a wobble that it will affect my iCloud accounts?

Reaction score
Yes, they are set up as if they were extra emails under my name. Just for his use. And yes I use Mac mail. I've just upgraded my iPhone and both iPads to OSX 8. Will do his iPhone when I can get him to relinquish it (hates technology). I noticed that his and mine iPads now clearly show my name under Settings / Cloud ( and the Set Up Family Sharing, which I do not wish to do) and I've checked the mail settings for all accounts are as they should be. I'm flummoxed.

Reaction score
Yep, I got them the same as mine. The only possibility that I have come with is that the settings to delete from the server might have been 'after 1 month' but even then, that doesn't account for all the emails that were in the inbox. I'll take it to the Mac shop soonest and see what a genius has to say. If there is an answer I'll post it. Thank you for all the advice :)

Reaction score
Hi,

Not on Mac at present, but I tend to set my boxes up to leave all emails on server. Unless they are in the trash or junk folders.
Had an issue years ago and learnt my lesson. Also would recommend backing up at least once a week. Time Machine is so very easy to use.

Reaction score
Hi Guys - just to let you know that I went to the Genius bar at the Mac store today. They have no answer either! Even if I had the settings on " delete after one month - that's the maximum I think " it would not account for the past 12/15 months that those emails were there. So the upshot is - no-one knows. Roll on the time I can upgrade to a new computer .... oh, and I am pretty fed up with IOS8 too. Photos all out of sync and veeeeerrry slow. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Over and out :)

Reaction score
Hi Ellesse,

Regarding the emails seems all are baffled it is most odd.:(

oh, and I am pretty fed up with IOS8 too. Photos all out of sync and veeeeerrry slow.

I believe Apple has been moving away from events and pushing collections and moments, but if they keep events then a bug fix might be released soon. The Apple boards have many comments like yours regarding iOS8 and photos.

Regarding my iPhone and iPad photo collection,I personally organise differently in Aperture as folders within personal events, and only choose these in iTunes to sync. A little long winded I know but have done it this way for years.:)

Ask a Question