SOLVED Greyed frame around Mac display

Reaction score
My infant son got to my 2012 MacBook pro and started mashing buttons. He must have turned on a feature that I am unaware of and therefor cannot turn back off. There is a small grey frame around my entire display that actually blocks my mouse functions. For example, if the red x that closes a window is in the top left corner and thus under the grey frame, I cannot click the x to close the window. This is true for every program except the force quit. Force quit shows up on top of the grey frame and allows me to interact with it just like normal. Any ideas? Here's a pic to show what I'm talking about.
Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 7.49.18 AM.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like Exposé got stuck in Show Desktop mode. Try these steps to correct it:

Restart the Mac, if that doesn't fix it, then continue below.

1. Press Command + Space
2. Type terminal in the box then press Return
3. At the prompt, type:

killall Dock

4. Press Enter
5. The Dock will close and restart. That should free things back up.
6. Quit Terminal

Let us know if that doesn't fix it,

C

Reaction score
hi,

it didn't seem to work for my iMac (late 2009).
Are there any other options to fix this problem?
Thanks and my best wishes to all for 2017 and beyond.

kind regards,

luke

Reaction score
hi,

it didn't seem to work for my iMac (late 2009).
Are there any other options to fix this problem?
Thanks and my best wishes to all for 2017 and beyond.

kind regards,

luke

Hi!

I'm on the same platform and computer and it didn't work either. I found an even easier way. Press the apple logo in the top left, go to force quit, and relaunch finder where it usually says force quit for the other applications :) If it doesn't work tell me.

Reaction score
Hi I have recently got this problem and it frustrating me. To solve this I have tried all methods listed here but none of them seem to work.
It would mean a lot if someone could guide me through this problem.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi I have recently got this problem and it frustrating me. To solve this I have tried all methods listed here but none of them seem to work.
It would mean a lot if someone could guide me through this problem.

Thanks

its really frustrating, in my case I tried "killall dock" "RAM reset" "System restart" "kill button" did not work.

finally deleted my user profile and created a new one - and it solved my issue.

Regards,
Prijil PS.

Ask a Question