Error in the terminal

Reaction score
Hey guys. I really need some help here. I was uninstalling the chrome app, and couldn't get rid off the launchpad icon, so I
turned too google looking for some help. I came across this site, that provided me with a terminal command and then things just messed up.

This is the command i used:

rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/*.db
defaults delete com.apple.dock
launchctl stop com.apple.Dock.agent

And now I have 3 question marks at the bottom of my screen......

What do I do too undo? And what did I exactly do?

Im danish, so I hope you understand me :)

***MODERATOR NOTE: Post title and body edited for language and removed inline screenshots due to language. Caution for language when viewing images.

Attachments

• Sk_rmbillede_2015-08-01_kl_-2.jpg
    Sk_rmbillede_2015-08-01_kl_-2.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 274
  • Sk_rmbillede_2015-08-01_kl_-3.jpg
    Sk_rmbillede_2015-08-01_kl_-3.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 259
Last edited by a moderator:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That command simply deletes the current Dock database and resets it to the default. The question marks in the Dock represent where there were previously app icons - probably apps you deleted/moved from the Applications folder You can simply click and hold, drag them up out of the Dock, and hold until the Remove balloon appears and let go. They will then be deleted from the Dock.

We understand English probably isn't your native language, but please refrain from using the words we edited out of your post title and body.

Hope that solves your issue,

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That command simply deletes the current Dock database and resets it to the default. The question marks in the Dock represent where there were previously app icons - probably apps you deleted/moved from the Applications folder You can simply click and hold, drag them up out of the Dock, and hold until the Remove balloon appears and let go. They will then be deleted from the Dock.

We understand English probably isn't your native language, but please refrain from using the words we edited out of your post title and body.

Hope that solves your issue,

C

Thank you for the quick answer.
The question marks is "pages, numbers and keynote". Nothing I seem too remember adding. Do you know these apps?

And back too the original problem, how do I get rid off the chrome launchpad icon?

- I will watch my language, sorry.

Niklas

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Those three apps are Apple's version of Microsoft Office:
Pages = Word
Numbers = Excel
Keynote = PowerPoint

You can re-add them to the Dock if you would like, or access them in the Applications folder.

To remove app icons from Launchpad:
1. Click on Launchpad icon to show the icons
2. Navigate to the page with the Google Chrome icon
3. Click and hold on its icon until the icons start to wiggle
4. Click the circle with an x in it in the upper left-hand corner of the icon
5. Click Delete when prompted

Let us know if that doesn't fix the issue.

C

Reaction score
No worries.

Those three apps are Apple's version of Microsoft Office:
Pages = Word
Numbers = Excel
Keynote = PowerPoint

You can re-add them to the Dock if you would like, or access them in the Applications folder.

To remove app icons from Launchpad:
1. Click on Launchpad icon to show the icons
2. Navigate to the page with the Google Chrome icon
3. Click and hold on its icon until the icons start to wiggle
4. Click the circle with an x in it in the upper left-hand corner of the icon
5. Click Delete when prompted

Let us know if that doesn't fix the issue.

C

Wow that was easy, just like all the other apple products I have. I have been using iPhone, iPad and iPod for many years, but the mac world is new for me.

I can't find pages, numbers and keynote in the app folder. I have tried too search for them as well. Did I delete them completely with the command?

Niklas

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It shouldn't have deleted them with that command, as it only deleted a preference list for the Dock.

They should be in the Applications folder. If not, you could try a Spotlight search for them. If they cannot be found, you should be able to re-download them from the App Store in the Purchases section.

C

Reaction score
It shouldn't have deleted them with that command, as it only deleted a preference list for the Dock.

They should be in the Applications folder. If not, you could try a Spotlight search for them. If they cannot be found, you should be able to re-download them from the App Store in the Purchases section.

C

I thought it was standard apps, but when I open the App Store they cost money, and I haven't bought them before. (They are not in the purchases section). So that's strange that they came as question marks... :S

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
They may be in a folder called iWork 09 within the Applications folder.

-Is your Mac new?
-Did it come with Yosemite?
-Are you signed into the App Store?

C

Ask a Question