Fan Running during sleep mode

Reaction score
Hi all, its my first post. i've a iMac late 2012 27 inch which has started to develop the above mentioned problem. The fan doesn't run loud its probably at its lowest speed but should it run constantly in sleep mode? It never has done in the past. i've trawled the net for answers but none match my specific issue of it running at base speed constantly. It may well stop at some points but every time i come into the room its running. Ive done a apple hardware test and it passed but it wasn't the extended one. i downloaded the free version of istat pro which gave me a temp of 29 deg and -1200 rpm fan speed (yes that is a minus sign, i thought it was weird also). i'm a bit odd on these matters and would appreciate any help whatsoever. thanks in advance

Reaction score
I think i've sourced the problem. i reset the printers and scanners in the preferences pane and my mac now does actually go to sleep. I was always typing in some variation of fan still running during sleep in google which didn't cover my issue. So i thought i'd put in that my machine doesn't go to sleep and i came across the solution soon after. So all good until the next time.
Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry we didn't get back to you sooner. It did sound like the Mac wasn't actually sleeping, since the fans are shut down when in that state.

Good job troubleshooting and glad it's resolved.

C

Ask a Question