External mouse problems, need help

Reaction score
I have a mac book pro and recently for no reason that I can tell my usb mouse started acting strange.
Essentially what is happening is I will hold down the left mouse button and instead of holding on to the selection, it clicks repeatedly. At first I thought it was a random occurrence but after playing with it for some time, I realized I could trigger the problem by subtly changing the pressure that I put on the button. Not releasing, mind you, but just slightly changing the pressure. So the computer is registering a new click every time there is a variation in pressure, rather than when the button is released and pressed again. This makes it nearly impossible to click and drag anything.

At first I thought it was the old mouse I was using, so I replaced it, only to have a brand new mouse suffer the same problems.

The problem happens with all of my programs including finder. The trackpad is working fine and on top of all that the usb ports seem to be working correctly, as other tools (including my wacom tablet) are performing fine.
It's like my computer just forgot to how to use a mouse for some reason

If anyone has any advice, or has suffered similar problems, please let me know

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A few questions first:

-Which model Mac?
-What version of OS X?
-What brand/model of mouse?
-If a third-party mouse, is there software to install to use it?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A few questions first:

-Which model Mac?
-What version of OS X?
-What brand/model of mouse?
-If a third-party mouse, is there software to install to use it?

C
it is a 2013 macbook pro
OS X 10.9.5 (13F1077)
the original mouse was an old logitech, the new one an onn optical (generic brand from walmart)
neither of the two mice had software needed, they were plug and play

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info.

Strange problem indeed, since all other peripherals and the trackpad are working normally. I will do a bit more research and get back to you...never heard of this issue before. ;)

C

Reaction score
I have been using Logitech mice on all of my machines recently, and even though they are supposedly "plug and play", I always download and install the latest Logitech software for the model I am using. I am presently using a Logitech M325 model on my MacBook Air, and a Logitech M310 model on my Mac Mini. I used them previously with Mavericks, and now with Yosemite, and have no issues at all (again, have installed the latest Logitech software for each one).

Ask a Question