External drive not recognized on start up with "option" key

Reaction score
My internal drive is dying - many bad sectors - so bought a firewire external drive, used carbon copy to successfully clone my internal drive to the new external drive. I selected the new drive as my start-up drive in System Prefs, restarted. The iMac took a long time and finally booted up in my old internal HD.

I restarted the iMac and held down the "option" key. When the window opened, it showed my internal HD and the time machine drive. The new drive was not shown.

I am running 10.9.4 on a 2007 Intel Core 2 Duo and the drive is an OWC Mercury elite Al-Pro

What am I doing wrong?

TIA

Reaction score
CCC needs to be a recent version.
The copy can't be a Disk Image.

I'd say there is a problem with the copy perhaps because the source has many bad sectors.

Reaction score
CCC needs to be a recent version.
The copy can't be a Disk Image.

I'd say there is a problem with the copy perhaps because the source has many bad sectors.

Thanks for the reply,

CCC is the latest version and I used it in clone mode.... if the sector is bad it would be unreadable and thus not cloned ... CCC copied ~16G out of a 250G drive. I can open the cloned folders on the external drive - they are all there.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sounds like part of the OS resides on the bad sectors, thus the inability to boot after the clone.

-Do you have another backup of your data?
-You could try a reinstall on the external. As long as you don't choose an erase & install, all your user data that you copied should be fine.

C

Reaction score
Sounds like part of the OS resides on the bad sectors, thus the inability to boot after the clone.

-Do you have another backup of your data?
-You could try a reinstall on the external. As long as you don't choose an erase & install, all your user data that you copied should be fine.

C

Thanks.....

I should have mentioned that if I hold the C key after restart, it boots - in the internal HD. So, while I will do a reload as suggested, I suspect that it may be something else......

Reaction score
Thanks.....

I should have mentioned that if I hold the C key after restart, it boots - in the internal HD. So, while I will do a reload as suggested, I suspect that it may be something else......

Thanks for all the help. Apparently my iMac is so old that it will not boot if the "large volume" switch in the drive is set to on. I need to open the drive and set the switch to off. Thanks again to all.

Ask a Question