Excel Office 2016 Crashing in El Capitan

Reaction score
I'm also a newbie. I have a new iMac with OS X El Capitan version 10.11.3 that I purchased in October 2015. I paid for Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac and had it downloaded before I left the Apple store. I didn't have any issues until recently. Excel seems to be the one that has the problem (Word seems fine). When I double click on a file or try to open it directly I get "..... application quit unexpectedly". I'm not getting any help from their support. In order to get their advanced support, I'd have to pay $99 OR subscribe to Office 365, which I don't want or need! I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem accessing Excel (Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac) with an iMac using El Capitan.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

There have been numerous reports of Office 2016 crashing in El Capitan since their releases. Microsoft is pointing the finger at Apple, of course, but there have been a few updates from both sides since the issue was first reported.

-Have you made sure that Office 2016 is up-to-date using the Microsoft AutoUpdate app in Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Microsoft > MAU 2.0 or in Excel itself in the Help menu under Look for Updates.
-Do you have/use Outlook for email?
-Do you have any custom settings or templates for Office that you have created and saved?

C

Ask a Question