Etre Check "Message"

Reaction score
I like the little "utility" EtreCheck, and in fact, a new version, V 2.6.4, was released earlier today (simple process to upgrade).

In any event, I have been somewhat "consistently" getting the following message when I run the program:

"Configuration files: (What does this mean?)
/etc/sudoers, File size 1392 but expected 2299"

I am not having any issues with either of my machines running OS 10.11.1, but I was also getting that same message while I was using Yosemite. Except for the other message "Auto backup: NO - Auto backup turned off" (not a problem, as I do my weekly backups with SuperDuper!), I do not get any other messages.

From a search of subdoers, I found this:

"The sudoers file located at: /etc/sudoers, contains the rules that users must follow when using the sudo command."

I've used the sudo command before on very few occasions, but it was always based on what the article/tip was discussing, and it had the exact command within the article.

Anyway, should I be concerned about this?

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
-Did you modify the sudoers file directly?
-Do you use the root account at all?

I wouldn't worry about it otherwise. It is probably reporting the file size error because of the new permissions structure of El Capitan.

C

Reaction score
-Did you modify the sudoers file directly?
-Do you use the root account at all?

I wouldn't worry about it otherwise. It is probably reporting the file size error because of the new permissions structure of El Capitan.

C

I have never modified a sudoers file at all, no matter which OS I have used. And, unless an article/tip is useful for me to use, and thus any associated commands that could "affect" that file, I do not use the root account at all.

I don't know whether or not Onyx and/or Tech Tool Pro deal with that file at all whenever I use either of them, but I guess that is a possibility. Also, I am still using Onyx to repair permissions, even with El Capitan. Maybe that is a possible explanation. Tech Tool Pro also has a Repair Permissions feature (as does Disk Warrior), but I have always used Onyx for that purpose.

But yeah, you are most likely correct about not being concerned about it. My only "gripes" about El Capitan are 1) it takes slightly longer for both of my machines to boot up, 2) more memory is being used when I startup (nothing in the StartUp Items folders), and 3) it is taking "somewhat significantly" longer for each of them to shut down.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I have noticed the slightly slower startup/shut down/restart times with El Capitan as well. But, El Capitan is much better as far as fan ramping with streaming video and graphics-intensive tasks, mainly due to the hew graphics API Metal.

I would guess that the sudoers issue may be resolved in a future maintenance next release of El Capitan.

C

Reaction score
Well, this issue seems to rearing its ugly head agin! I am not seeing anything "serious" with either of my Macs, but this message, via EtreCheck (latest version 3.3.3 released yesterday, but it has always been there), is definitely perplexing:

/etc/sudoers, File size 1392 but expected 1563

This one is associated with Sierra. It is almost the same as the one for El Capitan, except for the one of the numbers:

"expected 1563" for Sierra, but "expected 2299" for El Capitan

That "error" (again, via EtreCheck) still appears even after I do a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of Sierra. I guess the thing I could try is to just install Sierra fresh and clean, and run EtreCheck on that "bare" system. If the message appears, then it would be definitely something connected with Sierra and/or some internal hardware "issue". If no error message appears, then that should narrow it down to a "rogue" file on my backup, which I use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy needed "stuff" from.

If anyone has any insight about this, I would appreciate it!

Ask a Question