Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Sorry for the delay in replying !

Glad you got it sorted ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I am having that same problem. How was it fixed? Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

thanks

Reaction score
Same problem here. My iPod has a folder with an exclamation point next to it. When I run disk utility and try to repair, I get this message "The underlying task reported failure on exit." It also shows it as "unmounted" and won't mount it... Any suggestions?

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I had tried to partition the drive for WINDOWS XP, usin boot camp. But now it does not recognize the MAC OSX drive. It is unmounted. And the windows XP does not work either. HOW DO I GET BACK MY MAC?:( :confused:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there doc_browneyes and welcome,

Try rebooting and hold down the option key, you should then be able to select the Mac partition.

If not, then put your Tiger DVD install disk in, and reboot holding down the c key, do not do the install ! but run Disk Utility from the Menu bar...run Disk Repair.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I just had this happen with a LaCie 60G Porsche harddrive [this dreaded message]. The drive would not mount so I first ran Disk Warrior and it said I better copy my files off that drive, so I did that lst. I then did erase with DiskUtility and ran it and it gave the message and I tried to erase it a 2nd time and also to rebuild with DW and nothing works. Not sure what the problem is but am going to try a few other things before I junk the drive.

Reaction score
I was trying to use boot camp to partition my hard drive, but it said it couldn't and that I needed to repair the HD with the disk utility app :confused:

so I went to the disk utility, but it wouldn't let me repair the disk (the button was gray and already depressed), but it would let me press "Verify Disk Permission", "Verify Disk", and "Repair Disk Permission"

I tried the last two several times for the HD, but it only said "Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit" and that I needed to repair the HD

Reaction score
I was running BookSmart software all day yesterday (the book is looking great!) when things started getting sluggish. I repaired the permissions on the hard drive with Disk Doctor, but when I tried to repair the disk I got the message: Error: the underlying task reported failure on exit, in red, and Disk Doctor wouldn't repair it. Tech Tools shows no problems. My computer, G5 tower OS 10.4.11, still runs, but not as it should.

I see similar problems reported here, but I don't see how to fix it.

thanks for any help,
Kathleen

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I think you need to unmount your HD in order for it to be repaired ... so, you'll need to boot from a disc so that the tests/repair are actually performed from the disc drive and not the HD.

You'll need your Macs Install Disc or the Disc Doctor disc if you have that, and just put it in the drive and reboot your Mac holding the "C" key after you hear the startup chime.

If all goes well you would have successfully unmounted the HD and mounted the Disc Drive. A HD can't be repaired in some instances if it is in use so this is why you need to boot from a DVD or CD to do the repairs.

Reaction score
Hi Spawn_Dooley!

Having the same problem and will try your suggested fix but just want to check - by unmounting my HD and repairing from the disk drive will I lose any data from my HD? All important files are backed up but will things like applications have to be reinstalled etc?

Many thanks in advance for your help

cheers
Matt

Reaction score
I have the same problem, however it is related to a Caldigit S2VRDuo (2x1TB) i have.

I wanted to convert the caldigit from Windows file system to Mac, as i have recently switched to a macpro. So i had copied all the data of the Caldigit (which is Raid 1) onto the Mac hd. i then went to disk utility to erase and initialise, however i got the failure message.

turned everything off to start again and same result. here is what i did.

1. Turn caldigit on and startup at same time.
2. Dialog Box - “Disk Insertion: Initialize, ignore or eject”
3. Choose initialize
4. Disk utility opens and caldigit appears in left hand pane.
5. Select Caldigit (which is now named disk4s1, as I had already tried to initialize it for mac when the failure occurred)
6. Verify or repair both fail
7. Choose erase and the failure message says “The underlying task reported failure on exit” [which was the message when I initially saw this problem last week]

The disc will not mount. The drives are external and empty.

Any suggestions on how to format these disks for OSX and get it to mount?

Thanks
RE

Ask a Question