Emac won't recognize external dvd drive

Reaction score
I recently bought a LaCie dvd-rw as my emac doesn't have a dvd drive, connected it by Firewire, and from the new drive I installed Tiger. That went fine.

The LaCie works all right. I can burn DVDs using Toast, and any DVD whether home-made or bought will show up as an icon in the Finder. But double-clicking on the icon just opens a window showing the files on the DVD, and the only way I've found of actually playing it is with VLC Player.

This is sort of OK, but obviously I'd like to use Apple's native DVD Player. When I open that, however, I get an error message 'There was an initialization error. A valid DVD drive could not be found. [-70012]'

So is there any way of getting my emac to recognize the LaCie?

Incidentally, the LaCie itself doesn't appear as an icon in Finder.

--Richard

Reaction score
Hi rglynjones,

What version of OSX are you using?

Apple's DVD player does not support external drives if you are running Panther and below:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42727

I am unsure if Tiger now supports external drives via the Apple DVD Player though, I think it does, but maybe someone with an external DVD drive and Tiger can elaborate.

Realistically though, any other third party DVD player should work - they all do the same job as they are all software decoders, so you won't see any difference really using VLC to Apple's own.

Ask a Question