Desktop Icons Not Filling

Reaction score
This is a new one for me. Don't know if I did something wrong. Mac was running slow so I restarted. Then most of the desktop icons are now only icons.. not filling in.

iMac running latest updates.

1. All saved Pages documents show only the Pages icon. Not the document. When I dbl click on the icon it opens properly.. at least the few I tried. Some of the Pages docs I have in Folders on the desktop open properly.. but some do not.

2. All PDF's on the desktop do the same thing. I get the Adobe Reader icon only. When I dbl click they open properly. However, most of the pdf's that I have in Folders on the desktop open properly.

3. jpg's on the desktop do the same thing. I think all of the jpg's that I have in Folders on the desktop seem to open properly...

Help,, and thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
First thing I would check is how much free space remains on the hard drive. If the Mac is slowing down and icons aren't showing properly, low free space can definitely cause both of those issues.

C

Reaction score
Thanks again Cory. Free space is not the problem.. I have over 900 GB free. I downloaded a number of pics from the web to my desktop this morning. They all come up as a picture icon.. as it should. However the others from yesterday are still "preview" icons

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

-Have you tried toggling the setting Show icon preview in the View Options for the Desktop?
-Are there a lot of files on the Desktop?

C

Ask a Question