Constant install crash alerts

Peg

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to posting so hopefully am in the right place. I was backing up my system getting ready to upgrade from snow leopard to El Capitan. AFter moving a lot of data I started getting the following alerts. I have upgraded RAM from 4-8 and ran tests on chips and they are ok. I've also done a Hardware Test and checked S.M.A.R.T and all look good. I've looked on the web for info, but haven't found anything that addresses this.
I appreciated any assistance on this. Thank you in advance for your help.

please see attached

Reaction score
First, what do you mean by "moving a lot of data"?

Secondly, I'm assuming you are making backups to an external device. Is that via Time Machine, or another program?

Third, have you done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs to your internal drive?

Fourth, I'm not sure if it's wise for you to make such a huge jump with the OS. Going form OS 10.6.8 to OS 10.11.5 is quite a lot. You might want to consider first going to an "intermediate" OS, like OS 10.9.5. Along with that, have you updated any third party software you use to insure compatibility with the OS you are moving to?

Fifth, do you have either MacKeeper or CleanMyMac installed? If you do, get rid of them IMMEDIATELY. They do more harm than good.

Sixth, how much free space is left on your internal drive?

And last, do you have any anti-virus software installed on your machine?

Also, there was nothing attached to your post.

Last edited:

Peg

Reaction score
I was moving a lot of video, pics, and old folders to external hard drive as a second back up and to improve space (I did them all manually.) that is not the same external drive as where I do Time Machine back ups.

I did run verify and repair disk. When I went back in most were showing up again after repair. I did a second verify and repair and went back in after repairs and they showed up again.

Updating 3rd party software. Was getting ready to do that when all the crashes started. Was going to update to Mountain Lion but saw on apple could go right to El Capitan from Snow Leopard. Saw several problems with Yosemiti and Maveric. As a consumer, not professional, spent many hours researching trying to make decision. I just today found this site for postings. Any help is appreciated regarding upgrading.

I don't see MacKeeper or CleanMyMac on my computer in applications. The crash I keep getting alerts on is for com.fuze.Installer, which I saw on a site could be related to a malware.

I have 87 GB free space.

I do not see any anti-virus software on my machine.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi,

Also if worried about a possible infection which I do not think is the case try malwarebytes for Mac from here

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

Excellent suggestion! Also, I have never heard of "com.fuze.Installer". What software does that come from?

Also, when you said you verified and repaired the disk, assuming you used Disk Utility to do that, it would be necessary to boot your Mac externally, and use Disk Utility on that external "location " to do an actual repair of the disk. If you just ran Disk Utility from your startup volume, it cannot do any repairs (except Repair Permissions).

Reaction score
Hi,

when you said you verified and repaired the disk, assuming you used Disk Utility to do that, it would be necessary to boot your Mac externally, and use Disk Utility on that external "location
You do not have to use OS X utility's disk or external location to use the repiear option.
But there are some areas that can not be repieard without using your external disc.
Also you could run CHKDSK

Have a look at this little vid
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...1FFE64A14446CD9BE44B1FFE64A14446C&FORM=VRDGAR

Just taken a screen shot of mine and I get the repiear option running El Capitan:)

Attachments

• Screen Shot .jpg
    Screen Shot .jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

You do not have to use OS X utility's disk or external location to use the repiear option.
But there are some areas that can not be repieard without using your external disc.
Also you could run CHKDSK

Have a look at this little vid
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...1FFE64A14446CD9BE44B1FFE64A14446C&FORM=VRDGAR

Just taken a screen shot of mine and I get the repiear option running El Capitan:)

At the "Volume", ie, top level, it looks like the disk can be "repaired", but there are still parts of the disk which cannot be repaired at that "level". There is no way, though, to repair the disk at the partition level, which is where the OS, Apps, Settings, etc. are located.

So, if you want to do a "true" repair with disk utility, it must be done via an external fashion. Myself, I have TechTool Pro, and I can repair my internal drive (SSD in my case) via its slick eDrive feature. But, I also use SuperDuper! to make bootable backups, so if I wanted to use Disk Utility, I could just boot my Mac from such a bootable backup and run Disk Utility from there.

Peg

Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback, it has been most helpful. I did do a malware test and found 4 that I removed. So far crashes have stopped since late yesterday and system running much better.

I reviewed the video, it is very easy to follow so will be doing that today.

My total HD is 249 GB.

Can you tell me the basic pros and cons of going from snow leopard to el capitan? I don't want to mess up my computer.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Hi,
I thought Snow Lepoard was one of the best OS X's Apple released :) And if your happy stay with it.

Some software now likes the latest OS X but again if your happy don't change.

Peg

Reaction score
I agree and would love to stay with snow leopard, but some of the social media programs I would like to use, like instagram, are not available with snow leopard. Unfortunately, I need these for my business. Is there a way to have both on one computer?

Reaction score
Not sure which third party software you use, but according to this:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/app-for-instagram-instant/id954338382?mt=12

that version of instagram is compatible with OS 10.7 and above.

I still say you should first "move" to an "intermediate" version of the OS first. Yosemite, OS 10.10.x, was actually quite stable. What you could do, in terms of "retaining" Snow Leopard, is to purchase an external drive, then use a cloning program like SuperDuper! to backup/clone your entire system, as it is now, to that external drive. SuperDuper! makes that backup/clone bootable, so you can boot your machine from it, if needed.

Also, OS 10.12 is due to arrive this fall. By the way, what exact Mac model do you have?

Peg

Reaction score
Snow leopard only goes to 10.6.8, when I tried to download instagram it said it was not supported by my os.
My computer is a macbook pro from 2012. I have increased memory from 4 to 8.

Thank you for the info on SuperDuper and upgrading to Yosemite. Not being familiar with either and trying to read so many different sites on information has been difficult. Not losing snow leopard and putting it on another hard drive am definitely looking into.

When I upgrade to Yosemite and then to El Capitan will that eat up double amounts of my hard-drive?
Thank you again for your feedback.

Reaction score
Hi,

When I upgrade to Yosemite and then to El Capitan will that eat up double amounts of my hard-drive?

Think you will need at least 8 GB of free drive space to install the new El Captian. But this value doesn't represent the amount of free space you need to effectively run El Capitan, just the physical amount of room needed for the install process to complete. You may well be looking at 60-80GB

Personally and this is just my feeling I would not install on a system with less than 150 GB free.

Reaction score
Snow leopard only goes to 10.6.8, when I tried to download instagram it said it was not supported by my os.
My computer is a macbook pro from 2012. I have increased memory from 4 to 8.

Thank you for the info on SuperDuper and upgrading to Yosemite. Not being familiar with either and trying to read so many different sites on information has been difficult. Not losing snow leopard and putting it on another hard drive am definitely looking into.

Thank you again for your feedback.

I'm surprised there is not a way for you to obtain an earlier version of instagram that is compatible with OS 10.6.8.

After you install Yosemite and use it for a while, you can then upgrade to El Capitan. Going the "direct upgrade" route will not use very much more disk space. If instead you want to do a clean installation of El Capitan (or maybe OS 10.12, which is coming this fall), you would first use SuperDuper! to back up your Yosemite-based system to an external drive. Then, you would boot your Mac from that bootable clone, launch Disk Utility there to Erase and Format your internal drive. Next, you would do a clean installation of (say) El Capitan, and then Setup Assistant will run, and you can "migrate"/copy all the needed stuff from that SuperDuper!/Yosemite backup you previously made. Once hat is done, you would just re-start your Mac from your "El Capitan" system on your internal drive, and you are godo to go.

Peg

Reaction score
Thank you both for your help on this. It has answered many questions and relieved a lot of stress. This was my first time on mac-help and I can't tell you how much it is greatly appreciated!

Ask a Question