Connecting two external monitors to iMac

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster here :)

Hoping someone can help me. I have a late 2013 iMac running OSX El Capitan. I have one external monitor connected and now want to connect another. I purchased a mini display port to VGA adaptor cable from Apple (this is what they recommended and it physically looks identical to the cable connecting my first monitor).

When I plug my second external monitor in via the remaining thunderbolt port on my iMac, the screen seems to work ok but I no longer have the ability to use my mouse on my iMac - whenever I try to move it to something on my main display it jumps to either the left or right hand side monitor (depending on which way I'm moving the mouse). The first monitor I connected is a Samsung, the second monitor is an LG.

Appreciate any help or advice, thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Have you tried each of the two external monitors/adapter cables separately?
-Can you clarify "whenever I try to move it to something on my main display it jumps to either the left or right hand side monitor (depending on which way I'm moving the mouse)"?
-Is it a wired or wireless mouse? And, is it an Apple mouse?
-Do you have issue it any other external devices?
-Do you happen to have mirroring enabled in System Preferences... > Displays > Arrangement > Mirror Displays?
-In the above Arrangement tab in Displays, which monitor has the white menu bar on it, and have you tried moving the displays around so they show as they are setup on your desk/table?

C

Ask a Question