Connecting a Mac to a smart TV

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Forgive me if this has already been posted, but i'm after some advice/help regarding the above subject. I have a iMac running OSX.6 and a new Sony smart TV, and would like to use my TV as a monitor for my iMac, which would enable me to watch ITV player, 4 OD, etc. which are not currently available on my TV.
I know I need a Thunderbolt - HDMI cable to connect the two, but would I also need a separate cable for the audio, or would this come through the T'bolt - HDMI cable ?
Any help / assistance would be much appreciated. :)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thunderbolt and HDMI both carry audio and video. I am not 100% sure that the Thunderbolt-to-HDMI adapters will, but probably.

Another solution is to buy an AppleTV and use AirPlay to mirror your iMac to the TV. The AppleTV has an HDMI output. You'll also be able to use AirPlay output from iPhones and iPads to the AppleTV, as well as use all of the apps built-in to the AppleTV.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,
Thanks for the info : I'm not in the market for an Apple TV, as I've only just bought the Sony, but I'll certainly get a T'bolt - HDMI cable, and see how it goes.
Once again, many thanks for that. :)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
The following link has some interesting information you might like to read regarding your querie, patemm. Just scroll down towards the bottom of the page … it talks about getting audio to work & which Mac models are good for what etc … could help you out ...

Mini DisplayPort(3 in 1) Thunderbolt to HDMI/DVI/VGA Display Port Cable Adapter for Apple Mac Book MacBook Pro MacBook Air Mac

Providing this link also, for your information:

Thunderbolt Port to HDMI Cable Adapter for Mac MacBook iMac With Audio 1080P

There may be better quality adapters out there as these ones are quite cheap, I don't know, however it may help you make a better informed choice :)

Ask a Question