Clean System Install

Reaction score
I just got a new iMac and transferred all of my files and setting from my old one. That worked fine. Now I want to clean off the old one (running on 10.9.4) so that I can sell it or give it away. I do not have system discs. How do I reset the old one so that it only has the OS and apps that come with it?

Grateful in advance for your help

Reaction score
1. Make a New Use Account
2. Log into that Account and Delete your other Accounts
3. Step through the Applications Folder and Trash the Apps that didn't come with it.
4. Empty trash.

thats about as close as it gets without the orignial DVDs.

Reaction score
If you still have the file Install OS X Mavericks, you could boot the old machine into Target Disk mode (of course attached to the new iMac, via a Firewire 800 cable), then use Disk Utility to completely wipe everything off the hard drive in the old machine. Then, after making a copy of the Install OS X Mavericks file in another directory on the new iMac, launch the original Install OS X Mavericks file on the new iMac, choose the hard drive on the old one, and then run the installer. After it's done, you can apply the most recent Combo Updater, 10.9.5 (just came out yesterday). That will get the old machine ready with the latest version of Mavericks on it, and all the other stuff you had there before gone. You could even install the latest version of Safari on the old machine. It came out today, version 7.1. The OS 10.9.5 updater (Combo or not) installs version 7.0.6 of Safari.

Ask a Question