Cant select anything at the login screen.

Reaction score
27 inch I mac starts up fine but when it gets to the login screen I can't select anything. Mouse pointer moves around. Have tried different mouse, wired and wireless. Started up in safe mode but that just brings me to the login screen with Safe mode in red at the top right, still can't select anything. Have got slightly further and been able to enter password some times, that opens user but then cant select anything. I have re set the Pram and the SMC but no difference. Started in recovery mode and done disk utility all fine not problems found. Updated to latest Mac OX El Capitan 10.11.05 I think.
Any Ideas as to what might be causing the problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Have you tried turning off Bluetooth and only using a wired keyboard and mouse?
-Have you tried powering off a Bluetooth/wireless keyboard to see if you can then click?
-How much free space is left on the HD?
-Have tried new batteries in any wireless keyboard/mouse?

C

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the reply.
The keyboard is wired not bluetooth. Have tried with the bluetooth mouse and a wired one. The drive is partitioned with 500GB on the Mac side there is around 135GB of free space. Yes replaced the batteries.

Reaction score
Ok its seems to be back to operating normally at the moment. I used the track pad and that seems to work with it. I used this for a while then switched the wireless mouse on and it seems to have kicked that into working OK as well. Fingers crossed.

Ask a Question