Can't open some Pages '09 documents in Pages '09 in Mavericks

Reaction score
I upgraded to Mavericks a few days ago. I have documents that were created in Pages ’09 that will no longer open. (Some will, and I don’t know what the difference is) When I try to open one, it either opens, no problem, or I get the message “The required index.xml file is missing”. This message is in a rectangle with an icon representative of Pages ’09 (the inkwell). Since it has this icon, I’m assuming that I was trying to open it in the ’09 version, which is what I intended to do. Since this didn’t work, I tried to “open with Pages.app (4.0.5)” and got the same message. I’m a little afraid to try to open it in Pages 5, since I’ve heard rumors that this could ruin the document. I’m at a loss, and, like everybody else, I have important documents that I need access to. After I upgraded I had both Pages ’09 and Pages 5 on my dock, instead of one of them being in the applications folder. I have looked briefly at pages 5 and determined that I prefer ’09. They are both still in my dock but I never open Pages 5. I’m using an iMac with 10.9.4. All my documents are in Pages ’09 and I want to open them in Pages ’09. What to do?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I found a couple of links you should look at see how you go & come back if there are any problems … the first link covers the topic of surviving having more than one version of Pages.app on your Mac & the second discusses a method used to repair .pages files that display the "missing index … " error

FWIW … if you've opened a .pages file with the latest version it won't open if you remove that version of Pages.app from your computer …

"Missing index.xml file"

Pages 5.0: how to uninstall?

Ask a Question