Can't Get to Desktop

Reaction score
I've done this before and only got back to my desktop by accident. Not so lucky this time.

I accidentally hit the full screen button while in Safari. It filled the screen. I can't figure how to "un-do" it to get back to the desktop. I can't drag the screen in any direction.

I know it's simple.. but, I'll have to do a sticky for future events like this.

Reaction score
OK, I just tried this, and there are two ways you can get out of you dilemma. One is temporary, and the other is "permanent" (until you change Safari again):

1. Temporary One - this will get you back to the desktop just about immediately. Press Command - Tab while in Safari, and in the middle of the screen, you should see icons of any running applications. You'll see at least two of them, one for Safari, and the other for the Finder. Just select the one for the Finder, and you'll be back on the desktop.

2. Permanent - In safari, just move the mouse cursor to the top of the screen. All the menu "options" will appear. Just select "View", and go to the bottom of that screen, and select "Exit Full Screen". That will take care of it.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You should also be able to simply press the Esc key or Command-Control-F key combo and it should come out of full screen mode.

C

Ask a Question