Can not run Diagnostics

Reaction score
Hi I have OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 Latley I have noticed that i was getting the ball a lot when using safari and viewing Youtube vids.Also whoever I try to sign in on the iCloud site, i get a white box, then i get sent back to the log in screen.
So i decided to do a diagnostics test. Nothing happens. I restarted, and closed my computer holding the D key but thing happens it just restarts as normal. Thanks

Reaction score
First, what exact Mac Model do you have?

Secondly, have you done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs? Disk Utility is "OK" for that, but a more robust program like TechTool Pro or Disk Warrior is better.

Third, how much free space is on your internal drive?

Fourth, are you making backups to an external device? And if you are, what software are you using?

Fifth, do you have either MacKeeper or CleanMyMac on your machine? If you do, get rid of them IMMEDIATELY, as they do more harm than good.

Sixth, do these same issues occur when you use another browser?

Now, when you say " i decided to do a diagnostics test", what exactly did you do? Disk Utility could help alleviate some/all of the issues you are having, but it must run externally to be effective. A couple of excellent freeware products that will help are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac, and Onyx. You can get them from here:

Malwarebyte Anti-Malware: https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/

Onyx: http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

For Onyx, make sure you get Version 3.0.1, given that you are using Yosemite.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
I have Alvira.
By diagnostic testi menat i turned it off and restarted it while holding down the 'D' key. i tried that a few times.
I have no external hard rive or anything.
my iMac is late 2009

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

In addition to honestone's comments...

You particular iMac originally came with OS X 10.6.x Snow Leopard, so it doesn't have Apple Hardware Test built-in. It was included on the second install disc that came with your iMac. That is why holding the D key during startup is producing a normal startup.

Avira could be causing some of the SBOD and slowness issues in Safari. You could try disabling/uninstalling it to see if that helps the issue. Also, make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Flash, if you have it installed.

C

Reaction score
Cory's recommendations are, as usual, excellent! Without an external backup, however, it will still be a challenge. Even if your issues get resolved, there could still be hidden problems.

Do you have access to another Mac (a friend, relative, etc.)? Given that your iMac has a Firewire 800 port, if another Mac has such a port also, your iMac could be booted in Target Disk Mode, and the connected Mac (which is actually "booting" your iMac in that mode) could be used to perform diagnostics on your internal drive. This will also be very useful, assuming that the original drive inside your iMac has never been replaced, and it is going on 7 years old.

Ask a Question