Browser Help

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a secure web browser that will work on my iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.8?

When Apple decided to stop security updates for Safari I downloaded Firefox as my browser.
I now understand Firefox are also stopping security updates for Snow Leopard, and along with Safari also suggest I download El Capitan to keep my Mac secure.
I don't want to be pressured into El Capitain for two reasons.
1) I much prefer Snow Leopard to what I've seen of El Capitain.
2) I have Photoshop CS4 installed and understand this will not run on El Capitain

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Thanks Vicky

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Firefox is the only browser that the current version will run on Snow Leopard. Safari and Chrome are stuck on older, non-updateable versions. Snow Leopard is also vulnerable to other non-browser security flaws that the newer versions of OS X protect against. However, I still run Snow Leopard on two of my Macs, due to their hardware limitations and some software compatibility issues, and don't have any issues with them.

What kind of browser security concerns do you have?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,
Thanks for replying.
My main worries are online purchases and banking.
I try to use PayPal or a credit card for purchases, but assume if my browser is not secure, access could be got to my personal info.

After some replies on another forum, I'm seriously considering upgrading to El Capitan, and chance losing Photoshop and Anquet Maps, which are the two softwares I use most.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No problem.

If you visit a banking site with your current version of Safari, you should see https instead of http in the URL of the site, and a small padlock icon in the upper right corner of the Safari window, which show that you have a secure connection. PayPal and most sites that process credit card transactions use secured connections, so you should safe.

Photoshop CS4 has worked in El Capitan, especially if it is already installed before you upgrade. It just isn't officially supported. I am not familiar with Anquet Maps, but I see that it is an outdoor map navigator. I am sure there are similar apps available that are El Capitan compatible, such as RouteBuddy.

Anquet For Mac Finally Breathes its Last Breath — Alternatives?

It seems they have a path to move from Anquet to RouteBuddy at a discount.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Thanks for that info

Yes, I've just checked my bank's webpage with Safari (which I haven't used for a while) it was as you described, but sprawled across the page was a message about it being out of date and may not work. I then tried Firefox, which was http and a padlock icon next to it, all in green.

I've been considering RouteBuddy recently as Anquet stopped Mac updates ages ago. I mailed RB and was told I am eligible for the 20% reduction on the purchase of their equivalent maps, which will run on Snow Leopard.

I do feel a bit happier after your info re banking etc, so thank you.

Sorry to be a total pain, but if I decided to upgrade, would I have trouble with speed?
my Mac is:
2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...not a pain at all...that's why we're here. ;)

El Capitan may run very slightly slower than Snow Leopard on your Mac, but probably not noticeable. It runs very well on my MBP from 2007 with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo and 4 GB RAM. It runs a bit smoother after I enabled Reduce transparency, due to it having an older graphics chip.

C

Reaction score
Just a quick post to say I've finally upgraded Snow Leopard to El Capitan.
Basically forced into it due to the fact that my iMac wouldn't recognise my iPhone and iPad after the latest updates.
It's slightly slower, but I'm a happy bunny though, as photoshop still works along with the other installed software I'd been worried about.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent!

Did you follow my advice above: "It runs a bit smoother after I enabled Reduce transparency, due to it having an older graphics chip." That option is located in  > System Preferences... > Accessibility > Display.

C

Reaction score
Excellent!

Did you follow my advice above: "It runs a bit smoother after I enabled Reduce transparency, due to it having an older graphics chip." That option is located in  > System Preferences... > Accessibility > Display.

C
I had read it but wondered where I could find it.
Thanks for that, I'll give it a try

Ask a Question