Booting a Macbook Pro off external drive

Reaction score
Just got a Macbook Pro and want to back everything up. I have an extra external drive that is USB. If I got an USB to Thunderbolt cord could I then start the MBP from that drive if needed?

Reaction score
You cannot boot a Mac via any connection to an external drive directly. But, Macs can be booted from an external drive via a USB connection (I used to boot my Macs that way, before I "invested" in a faster way for the boot process; also this link states that one can boot via USB:

http://mac.appstorm.net/general/how-to-make-a-bootable-hard-drive-clone-with-superduper/,

but you need to use software that makes a bootable backup/clone of your current system. Also, a Thunderbolt to USB Adapter is expensive. (I assume you truly mean a Macbook Pro, and if you do, that machine should have at least one USB 3.0 port on it. If instead you mean the "new" 12" Macbook, then that machine only has a USB-C port). Also, to boot from that external drive, you would first need to start up your Mac like normal, then so to Start Up Disk" in System Preferences, select that disk "image/icon" for that external clone, and then click restart. Your Mac will then boot from that external bootable backup.

In any event, you will need to purchase and use a backup/cloning program that creates a bootable backup on your external drive. The two best products for that are either SuperDuper! (that is what I use) or Carbon Copy Cloner. Here are links to each one:

SuperDuper! - http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Carbon Copy Cloner - https://bombich.com/

One drawback is that booting process will be slow via a USB connection (even if it's USB 3.0). I use a Firewire 800 connection, and the boot process is certainly faster than via USB. But, another bottleneck is the use of an actual hard drive inside the external case,. Even if it spins at 7200 rpm (both of my external drives do), the boot process is still somewhat slow. I am waiting for the price of a 512 gig SSD to drop in price, so that I could put it inside a slim, external case. But, I can't find such a slim external case with a Firewire 800 port. They do come with Thunderbolt ports (which I can use), but they are expensive.

Reaction score
OK. I have a 250gb WD external with a USB connection. The Macbook Pro (OS10.11.3) has two USB & two Thunderbolt ports. I used a trial version 4.1.7 of Carbon Copy Cloner and created a backup to the WD drive via the USB. After cloning all, I tried to restart using the WD. Going to the System Preferences/Startup Drive, the WD showed up, but was grayed out and not selectable. Am I missing something. I have used earlier versions of CCC on my iMac and never had an issue with firewire connections. Should I give SuperDuper a go?
FYI my iMac, runs OS 10.6.8 and have just never upgraded, mainly due to old software I still use and don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Reaction score
Hmm, El Capitan did change how one is "verified" in selecting a different startup device. But, I did not realize it was happening in Snow Leopard.

In any event, on that Start Up screen, there should be an icon of a Lock locate in the lower left hand corner. Click on it, and you'll be prompted for your password. After entering it, the icon for the WD boot partition should now be selectable (not greyed out).

Reaction score
DUH!!! I should have seen that. I really do know better. All is fine, thanks to you all and it works as a backup. Very slow but functional as a a backup. Maybe when it rains dollars I will by a thunderbolt solid state drive.

Thanks again all!!!

Reaction score
Hey, no DUH is needed! As I mentioned, I do not remember that sort of behavior with the Startup Disk in the Preferences until El Capitan.

And yes, I know about the slow startup from such a backup! The two I make with SuperDuper! for each of my Macs are to two external drives, each with a 1 TB 7200 rpm Seagate drive mechanism. The connection is via Firewire 800. The backups do go quickly (about 1/2 the time compared to when I was doing it via USB 2.0), but the starting up is slow. I want to "soon" purchase a Samsung 512 Gig 850 EVO or Pro SSD when they do down more in price and install it in a slim, external 2.5" enclosure. But, so far I can't find such an enclosure that has either a Firewire 800 or Thunderbolt port. They either have USB 2.0 or USB 3.0. For "larger", more bulkier cases, such choices are available.

Last edited:

Ask a Question