Bookmarks in Yosemite

Reaction score
I just went from OS 10.6 to 10.10, Yosemite. I don't see a row of my bookmarks across the top, like in 10.6. I see them in favorites in the sidebar. Can I get them to look like i'm used to?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
In Safari, click on View > Show Favorites Bar in the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Let us know if that doesn't work.

C

Reaction score
Thanks, that did it! Now, how can I transfer my Safari bookmarks from another hard drive to my new one, other than copy/paste to the new Safari?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Two ways:

1. If you are signed into iCloud on the old Mac, they will appear in the new Safari once you sign into iCloud on that Mac in  > SystemPreferences > iCloud and check the box next to Safari.

2. On the old Mac launch Safari, then on the menubar File > Export Bookmarks. Move this file to the new Mac using USB flash drive, email etc. The Safari > File Import Bookmarks. They will show in a bookmark folder called Imported Bookmarks. You can then arrange them how you want in Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks.

C

Reaction score
Thanks again! Next question...When I click the + by the address of a site, it goes to the reading list. How do I get it to go to my favorites/bookmarks?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Command-D will bring up the bookmark popup menu. You can then change where it saves to.

C

Reaction score
When I'm in Safari, Command D says Add this page to favorites. It doesn't let me change where the + goes.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You should be able to click on Favorites and a drop-down will appear and give you more choices like Favorites, Bookmarks Bar, and any folders you have setup.

C

Reaction score
Still having trouble understanding. I'm in Safari, I have something I want to save as a Bookmark, at what point do I click on Favorites?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sorry about that. Here's what I meant:

1. Navigate to a web page you want to bookmark
2. Press Command-D to bring up the bookmark save dialog box
3. The first time you use it, it will default to show Add this page to: Favorites
4. Click the word Favorites (noted in the red box below)
5. A drop-down menu list will appear that you can navigate to save the bookmark where you want it

favorites.png

Let me know if you have further questions,

C

Ask a Question