Battery problems, is it time to buy a new one?

rhi

Reaction score
My computer battery has been working inconsistently. It worked well for quite a while, then stopped charging properly, then only worked when plugged in, then started charging again. It has recently gone through repairs, it worked for about 3 weeks and is now not charing again.It has said charging at 3% a couple of times for a second then stopped, if I unplug it it shuts down. Is it time to get a new battery? Before I fixed it by giving it time off from working and chaining the direction I plugged in the charger (sounds silly but it seemed to work).

This is my current battery reading -
Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 0

Fully Charged: No

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 0

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 0

Battery Installed: No

Amperage (mA): 0

Voltage (mV): 0

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Sleep on Power Button: Yes

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes

Wake on LAN: Yes

AutoPowerOff Delay: 14400

AutoPowerOff Enabled: 1

Current Power Source: Yes

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0

Standby Delay: 4200

Standby Enabled: 0

Battery Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2

Sleep on Power Button: Yes

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes

AutoPowerOff Delay: 14400

AutoPowerOff Enabled: 1

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Reduce Brightness: Yes

Standby Delay: 4200

Standby Enabled: 0

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes

ID: 0x0100

Wattage (W): 60

Revision: 0x0000

Family: 0x0085

Charging: No

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I tend to agree. However, if it is not the battery, then it could be the battery connector or the logic board. Especially since it shows that no battery is installed and all the measurements/levels of the battery are showing as 0.

I would try replacing the battery if it is a model with a user-serviceable battery. If it isn't, then definitely take to an Apple Store or AASP and have full diagnostics run on it.

C

rhi

Reaction score
its working again now, although it says its at 96% and says its only got 18mins. I will get it changed. i have a 13" aluminium mac book pro, and am unsure what battery I need to get.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If it is charging, then it is most likely the battery and not the connector or logic board.

If you look at the bottom of the MBP case, user-replaceable battery units have a door/cover than can easily be removed with the built-in lever. If the bottom case is a solid, one piece type, then you'll have to bring it in for service.

To identify the actual model of your MBP depending on your version of OS X:

Apple (menu bar) > About This Mac > More Info... > Model Identifier

or

Apple (menu bar) > About This Mac > More Info... > System Report... > Model Identifier

Also, let us know what the Cycle Count and Full Charge Capacity readings are now that the battery is charged.

C

Reaction score
You can also go to www.ifixit.com and find explicit instuctions on replacing the battery yourself. You will need the exact Mac Model Identifier to get to the correct repair guide.

Ask a Question