Backup with tar?

Reaction score
Hello,

I know that the first response here will be: "you're an idiot. use TM." But I'm going to ask anyway. I have a Windows, Linux and Macs around the house. The Mac is new. Never had them in the past, but had to use it in my last job and I got rather attached to my machine, so when the company offered to let me buy my computer when I left, I took it. I have some passport type HDs that I use with all machines, so I keep those FAT32. I also use those for backup, for which I use Clonezilla for Win and Linux, and tar for the Linux machines (which is what I use the most). I've really gotten to like doing backups with tar. It took a while to learn which folders to exclude and recreate when restoring, but now it's my preferred way to backup for my linux machines. Because I'd like to keep those HDs FAT32 and also because I'd like to stay with something I know, I'd like to use tar to back up my mac. I thought that there'd be some easy tutorials on how to do that, but no. First question: is it possible? I would assume so, but maybe someone can confirm. If it is possible, anyone know of a tutorial anywhere? Or what the differences would be from a Linux tar backup/restore? I suppose I'd exclude /dev and /tmp and everything in /Volumes besides "Macintosh HD". I see there's no lost+found, proc, exec and some other directories. Don't want to trash my new machine (although I already CZ'ed it). Thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll cave in and format one of the drives or partitions to HFS+ and use TM. All of the help I find regarding using tar on that mac talk about just backing up a random folder. Things are a little more difficult when you're doing the entire system. You've got to get everything right.

Thanks again.

Ask a Question