backing up 2 phones to one mac

Reaction score
I have multiple issues happening at the same time.
My current mac which has an outdated operating system is currently backed up with my old Iphone 4.
I have since gotten 2 phones and am now on Iphone 6plus

I am going to upgrade my operating systems to bring it where i need it to.
In the mean time I moved my photos and music librarys to an external drive and did a time machine to my ext drive also. I moved these because of storage issues. I dont want to use the cloud to back all of my stuff as I am moderatly paranoid. ;)

Now I want to back up my husbands old phone iphone4 to my mac before i change the operating system. He lost his hard drive and for some reason cannot get all of his music from his old phone onto his new mac book air. (the stuff from cds or mps are not recognized by his mac book air) I am thinking the operating system is not compatible but i know mine is.
I would then copy his music and photo library onto an ext drive as well.
Now would I need to back up my old phone again to get all my data on to my computer and erase his stuff before i update my system. then back up my 2nd old phone then back up my new phone.

told you it was a lot of issues.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Due to licensing issues, you cannot sync non-purchased music from an iOS device back to a computer.

Do you have an Apple Store near you? It may be much easier for you to bring your Apple gear there and have them help you hands-on. This could be a very lengthy solution, with numerous steps. We could probably get it done, but would hate for you to lose any of your data.

C

Reaction score
Now I want to back up my husbands old phone iphone4 to my mac before i change the operating system. He lost his hard drive and for some reason cannot get all of his music from his old phone onto his new mac book air. (the stuff from cds or mps are not recognized by his mac book air) I am thinking the operating system is not compatible but i know mine is.
I would then copy his music and photo library onto an ext drive as well.

@Cory Cooper is correct that you can not "sync" your music back to your computer. iTunes is a one-way sync from computer to iPhone unless that music was purchased from iTunes.

@sandy w However, there are plenty of apps out there (not supported by Apple) that allow you to move the contents of your iPhone over to a mac. I have personally used iExplorer, iMazing, among others for my clients. I find them pretty simple to use if you're just looking to get your music off the iPhone.

Ask a Question