Back to My Mac with home network running Leopard

Reaction score
I'm operating my home network on a Power Mac G5 running Leopard 10.5.8, and accessing it on my MacBook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.5.

I've activated Back to My Mac on the MacBook, but BTMM is not available for Leopard.

I'd like to access my home network with the MacBook when I'm out of town. Will this be possible?

Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Do you want to share the G5's screen and control it remotely, or be able to transfer files back and forth between the G5 and your MBP?

C

Reaction score
Do you want to share the G5's screen and control it remotely, or be able to transfer files back and forth between the G5 and your MBP?

C
Ideally, I'd like to do both, but file management is the more important task I'd like to accomplish.

I should mention I have Apple Remote Desktop on the MacBook. Is file management/remote access away from the home network available with my current setup? If not, would another app, such as Screens, be any better?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
ARD will allow you to control the Mac remotely. It does have some basic file transfer tools, but mostly to copy items to the target remote Mac.

If you want to transfer files back and forth, you would need some form of FTP setup. You would probably also have to do some configuring on your router to allow FTP/port forwarding to the G5 on your network It may be harder to find support for the PPC G5 and Leopard though.

You could use Google Drive or Dropbox to upload the files you may need to access while you're away. Either of those can be accessed from anywhere.

Unfortunately, services like LogMeIn and GoToMyPC don't support non-Intel Macs.

C

Reaction score
ARD will allow you to control the Mac remotely. It does have some basic file transfer tools, but mostly to copy items to the target remote Mac.
C

Unfortunately, Cory, ARD is not connecting when I'm away from the home network. It's set up with the network IP address of the home computer.

Any suggestions on how I can connect? Do I need to provide a different address in order to access the home network remotely? I've searched for tutorials on the topic and have yet to find a clear explanation of the process.

Thanks.

Ask a Question