Audio out gone on iMac

Reaction score
I have a late 2009 iMac running Mavericks. Suddenly, the audio out port on the back (stereo miniplug) has stopped functioning. Up until then, it has worked flawlessly, attached to external speakers. Now, it won't even work with headphones.
No red light from the audio out port. Could this be SW problem that I can deal with myself? Any help much appreciated.

Reaction score
I would try an SMC and PRAM/NVRAM reset first:

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac

Let us know if that fixes it. I have heard of the audio board failing on iMacs however.

C
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't yet tried resetting SMC but I did reset NVRAM, which did not solve the problem. However, as the iMac was starting up for the NVRAM reset, it did produce one (but not 2) start-up sounds.
Also, upon inserting a stereo miniplug and then removing it, I did see a red light in the audio out port, but it went out and I have not been able to reproduce that effect. One other thing, in Systems Preferences, "internal speakers" is no longer listed as an option. Does this shed any light? Thanks again.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, it sounds like the audio board is failing. If you don't want to get the iMac repaired, you could look into a USB audio output device. They are available in all price ranges, and would probably be less than half the cost of the audio board repair.

C

Ask a Question