Audio MIDI question

Reaction score
In my MacBook Pro in Audio MIDI I can only set Output there is no option for input?

Attachments

• Audio MIDI.png
    Audio MIDI.png
    225 KB · Views: 349
Reaction score
Yosemite, I use my MacBook to send music to my pre amp I have an ifi NANO iDSD. I Have to run Yosemite because there's a bug in the software that crashes in El Capitan, but lets not go there now. The Music app I use is Audirvana Plus or A+ as most call it. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...thanks for the info.

Since that device is simply an audio DAC, you cannot change the input settings, as they are determined by the output settings of the device connected to its digital input jack. In a computer connection setup, the volume controls are disabled by design, so that the output signal is line-level. Since you are using it as an audio output device for your Mac in conjunction with Audirvana, the bit rate and sampling rate will be set by Audirvana and not OS X.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Thanks, I could be mistaken but I remember both input and out put were options I had. And also I think I ask the question of setting the PCM Stream to the ifi NANO people how to change it and they said that could only be changed in my Mac.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I assume the setup you are using is as follows:

MacBook Pro via Audirvana Plus > USB port on iFi nano iDSD (as output device to audio system) > RCA output to RCA input on preamp/receiver

If that is the setup, then there wouldn't be any input controls available, as bit/sample rate would be detected from the audio file automatically in Audirvana Plus, as long as you choose the iFi in > Audirvana Preferences > Audio System > Preferred Audio Device. There wouldn't be any reason to set/change it in Audio MIDI Setup. You should also leave the volume set to 100% in Audirvana Plus, so that you are getting a bit perfect signal.

Is that the correct setup?

C

Reaction score
Thanks I do keep the DAC volume up to Max. I guess my old brain is playing tricks on me.

Reaction score
Well I do Have an input into my DAC which is the music on my MacBook. I feed it from an external HD usb2 from there it goes to a REGEN then into the DAC then to my preamp. btw Ihave a nice B&K preamp for sale Reference 5 S2 150.00

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Even with the UpTone REGEN, there still wouldn't be any input controls on the Mac, since that signal is going directly from the REGEN to the DAC chips then out the RCA jacks. That signal is never actually "hitting" the Mac through the USB connection from the iFi.

C

Ask a Question