Are You Ready for Yosemite?

Reaction score
Well, it looks like OS 10.10.0, Yosemite, is "just around the corner", so to speak:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/14/09/30/public.releases.coming.soon/

One thing people should do before installing Yosemite is to make a backup of their system. While a Time Machine backup is OK, if anything goes wrong with installing Yosemite, one wants to back up and running ASAP. That is where a cloning program such as SuperDuper! (free with its "basic" mode) comes in handy. It can create a bootable backup, so that one can get back up a running quickly.

Reaction score
And of course if you have any 3rd Party Apps or Hardware, ensure they are updated for the new OS. If not wait... we recommend waiting until OSX update .1 or .2.
Note the problems with iOS8 .1 and .2, don't rush in to major system upgrades.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Lion is as far as this baby goes I'm afraid … I'm happy though, not really seeing anything 'must have' for my personal needs in ML & beyond

Reaction score
And of course if you have any 3rd Party Apps or Hardware, ensure they are updated for the new OS. If not wait... we recommend waiting until OSX update .1 or .2.
Note the problems with iOS8 .1 and .2, don't rush in to major system upgrades.

Yeah, that is prudent to do. I myself check the site www.macupdate.com at least twice a day, to see if there are any updates to the software that I use. And when there are, I download them as soon as possible, and install them.

As for installing Yosemite when it first comes out, that is why a backup is so, so important. And, as I mentioned above, do the backup right before updating to Yosemite.

Reaction score
I'm still happily running Snow leopard on my iMac.
However, I have Mavericks on one of my external drives and don't find it to be very impressive.
I doubt that Yosemite, as Spawn stated, will have any "must haves" for me.

Reaction score
I have always thought that Snow Leopard was the best Mac OS ever. But, unfortunately software support for Snow Leopard is becoming less and less. Soon, the same thing could happen with Lion, then Mountain Lion. Not sure how soon Mavericks support will fade away, but it is inevitable that it will happen.

I actually had to make a decision for another desktop machine in July 2013, as the MacPro I had (motherboard went "bad") could no longer run anything beyond Snow Leopard. Hence, that is why I purchased a Mac Mini. (Even if the motherboard was good, I still would have made the move). Then, last October I needed to do the same thing to replace my aging 17" Mac Book Pro, and I purchased a 13" Mac Book Air with a 256 gig SSD.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I'm still happily running Snow leopard on my iMac.
However, I have Mavericks on one of my external drives and don't find it to be very impressive.
I doubt that Yosemite, as Spawn stated, will have any "must haves" for me.

Walrus666!!! How are you mate?

Reaction score
I have always thought that Snow Leopard was the best Mac OS ever. But, unfortunately software support for Snow Leopard is becoming less and less. Soon, the same thing could happen with Lion, then Mountain Lion. Not sure how soon Mavericks support will fade away, but it is inevitable that it will happen.

I actually had to make a decision for another desktop machine in July 2013, as the MacPro I had (motherboard went "bad") could no longer run anything beyond Snow Leopard. Hence, that is why I purchased a Mac Mini. (Even if the motherboard was good, I still would have made the move). Then, last October I needed to do the same thing to replace my aging 17" Mac Book Pro, and I purchased a 13" Mac Book Air with a 256 gig SSD.
Snow Leopard has been my favorite as well and Tiger wasn't too shabby either. I was never too crazy about Leopard though. It seemed a bit pokey. Yep, Snow Leopard is definitely fading away. In fact I had to download Firefox recently because Safari 5.1.10 wasn't able to open certain websites.
Unfortunately, many developers charge an update fee when they update their apps to be compatible with the next operating system and that could be quite costly.

Reaction score
Snow Leopard has been my favorite as well and Tiger wasn't too shabby either. I was never too crazy about Leopard though. It seemed a bit pokey. Yep, Snow Leopard is definitely fading away. In fact I had to download Firefox recently because Safari 5.1.10 wasn't able to open certain websites.
Unfortunately, many developers charge an update fee when they update their apps to be compatible with the next operating system and that could be quite costly.

Actually, more and more free software is also moving in that direction, ie, one needs to have Lion or higher.

Reaction score
Had it on, moved back to Maverick as I found the glitches frustrating, will I go back to it, not yet, they've still got work to do on it !,

Ask a Question