Any advice swapping internals out of/into late 09 iMac?

Reaction score
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL HELP:

Our new puppy got behind the desk and yanked my mac onto the floor breaking the glass and bending the case out of shape.
I plugged it back in and everything seems to be working fine. PHEW!
I know how to replace the front glass but I was going to order a used housing from eBay and swap everything into the used housing BUT I have no experience tearing into a mac. I have however built pc's in the past.
Has anyone ever replaced the housing and if so, any advice?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry to hear about your accident. However, replacing the rear housing on those iMacs is one of the hardest repairs in the Apple lineup. You have to remove everything, and it requires several tools. Also, it is very easy to crack the logic board, scratch the LCD, break connectors, and pinch wires. The video card is very sensitive to pressure. If you don't put everything back correctly, you will have overheating/fan issues and more. I don't recommend performing this repair yourself. It's best left to Certified Apple Technicians.

C

Reaction score
No, I do not recommend doing this. If it works fine, great. Just replace the front panel. It's actually quite normal for metal Macs to get bent and dented--many MacBooks that get dropped work just fine but have ugly dents.

For next time, though, I recommend securing it to the desk if you can. You can purchase locks pretty cheap that plug into the back and then screw into the desk. It'll also make your iMac thief proof, too.

Reaction score
If you still want to repair it, well, as C up there ^^ said, it's very costly and hard to do, but not impossible.

Ask a Question