AirPort Help

Reaction score
I have been using the AirPort device with WiFi at a RedRoof Inn recently. When I turned the AirPort on, I have a selection:

Apple Network 313f0b
redroof
Verizon-MiFi6620L-601C

Also:

Join Other Network...
Create Network...
Open Network Preferences...

I am not familiar with the WiFi experience, having used the ethernet connection for several years. The redroof connection is minimal: slow, at best, when it is working at all, but it does allow me to get on the internet when it is working. When I select the Apple Network, the icon shows full, but it requires a password to operate, and I don't know the password. How can I find the password for the Apple Network 313f0b? And what do I do to Join Other Network?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A few questions.comments:

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Did you bring the AirPort Express/Extreme device that is broadcasting the Apple Network? If not, you probably won't be able to login/use that network.
-Is that your Verizon network? If not, someone else has their phone hotspot enabled or has an external hotspot device, and you won't be able to login/use that network either.
-The Join Other Network is a tool to enter login credentials on a network that you have credentials for. You are probably stuck with the redroof network alone.
-The redroof network is probably the only "public" network at that hotel. Hotel networks are notoriously slow. Unfortunately, it is probably your only option, and the connection will probably be intermittent and slow. It isn't a fault of your Mac, it just is the way it is...not much you can do to speed it up.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A few questions.comments:

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Did you bring the AirPort Express/Extreme device that is broadcasting the Apple Network? If not, you probably won't be able to login/use that network.
-Is that your Verizon network? If not, someone else has their phone hotspot enabled or has an external hotspot device, and you won't be able to login/use that network either.
-The Join Other Network is a tool to enter login credentials on a network that you have credentials for. You are probably stuck with the redroof network alone.
-The redroof network is probably the only "public" network at that hotel. Hotel networks are notoriously slow. Unfortunately, it is probably your only option, and the connection will probably be intermittent and slow. It isn't a fault of your Mac, it just is the way it is...not much you can do to speed it up.

C

MacBook Pro 17" 2.53GHz Core i5 (A1297) - Mid 2010 MC024LL/A SKU17697

MC024LL/A GS17697

OSX Version 10.6.8

Safari Version 5.1.10 (6534.59.10)

I was at my daughter's place recently and used my Mac and AirPort there with her WiFi system and it was full on, high speed. Everything worked fine there. Right now, I'm back to RedRoof, and hoping it doesn't crash on me.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
How did things work out for you at the Red Roof? I would guess the same, which is probably just the setup of their wireless.

C

Reaction score
I learned some things about my Apple networking system. The gadget that I was plugging in was a network station. I found my password for it. Also, I realized that I didn't need this network station with the WiFi card already in the laptop.

I have moved to a different location and they have several networking stations that I can sign onto, some being full on and fast.

Thank you for your help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Correct, you don't need to bring your AirPort device with you to use Wi-Fi. It is only used to provide Wi-Fi at your home or office in conjunction with a modem of some sort.

Glad it worked out.

C

Ask a Question