After install 10.4.4 Yosemite Macbook pro 17' early 2011 dead!

Reaction score
Hi there,

Please, help me!

After the installation of the Yosemite 10.4.4 upgrade, the screen turned unstable, the notebook restarted by itself then it restarted again with vertical pale stripes.
Now, when I try to turn it on the fan begins to work normally, then the status bar appears and I can follow the progress to almost the middle of the bar. After it, it jumps to a gray screen, staying so for about 10 minutes and then it turns down again and restart once again... and again.
This cycle happens alone until I turn down the computer.
I put the serial number in the Apple site and found out that my case is among a minimum pecentage of MacBook Pro 17'' from early February, 2011 to 2013 produced with a malfunction, However, they don't specify which one the malfunction is - if it's a problem with the screen display, or with the videocard.
I still think that it can be any script in the HD due to the upgrade. I don't know if the problem would be solved by changing the HD. Another issue is that I'm in Brazil and can't count on extended warranty.
I'm very very worried because I work for an American humanitarian foundation, with videos, imagens and audios, and besides the works stored in the HD, I need it (gear) working more than anything else.

Thanks,

Leo

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It could be a couple of things:

-If your Mac is in the serial number range for the MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues, I would lean towards that.
-When you performed the update, your data finally reached a part of your HD that was failing. A new HD may fix the issue, but it sounds more like the issue above.

You could purchase a new HD, install it, and see if the issue is resolved. That would also prevent any further damage/loss of data on the current HD. However, tif the current HD is failing, data loss could be an issue. Do you have any form of Time Machine or other backup of your data?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It could be a couple of things:

-If your Mac is in the serial number range for the MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues, I would lean towards that.
-When you performed the update, your data finally reached a part of your HD that was failing. A new HD may fix the issue, but it sounds more like the issue above.

You could purchase a new HD, install it, and see if the issue is resolved. That would also prevent any further damage/loss of data on the current HD. However, tif the current HD is failing, data loss could be an issue. Do you have any form of Time Machine or other backup of your data?

C

Hi Cory!

Thanks for support.
Rightly, I was no space on my external hard drive for Time Machine, so I bought a bigger HD. I transferred much of my work for the new HD, but it was not through Time Machine. I would use Time Machine on a next update of my last video work. Anyway, I think I'll follow your tip and try to install a new hard drive to see if it works or not.Now I'll have to buy a new Mac urgently to work next week! This unexpected expense is making me sick, it's a fortune here in Brazil.
Thank you for advice and attention.

Happy July 4th!

Leo

Reaction score
How are you posting on this forum? From your descriptions, your "main" machine seems to not be functional.

If you could let us know 1) the exact model of your "broken" Mac, and 2) the exact model of the machine you are using to post here, there could be some more things you can try.

As it is, even if you purchase anew HD and install inside your machine, it will actually need to be formatted, partitioned, and at least contain a workable OS on it before you install it. OS 10.10.4 is fine, but you will need to eventually "migrate" from OS 10.10 to the OS 10.10.4 Combo Updater. Make sure you get the Combo Updater. You can get it from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1820?locale=en_US

Last edited:
Reaction score
No worries...keep us in the loop as to your progress.

Good luck!

C
Okay, I'll post it here! But my solution depends on many variables. This mainly where I am physically, Brazil. It's all a nightmare, as something that costs $ 100, will cost 200 here, is always full of double taxation and restrictions. I thought this weekend, is a bizarre, threatened situation of losing a key work in the coming weeks, and it could secure my livelihood for a good time. I think buying a small and inexpensive HD, just to see if the machine works! We will see! Thank you for your attention and support.

Reaction score
How are you posting on this forum? From your descriptions, your "main" machine seems to not be functional.

If you could let us know 1) the exact model of your "broken" Mac, and 2) the exact model of the machine you are using to post here, there could be some more things you can try.

As it is, even if you purchase anew HD and install inside your machine, it will actually need to be formatted, partitioned, and at least contain a workable OS on it before you install it. OS 10.10.4 is fine, but you will need to eventually "migrate" from OS 10.10 to the OS 10.10.4 Combo Updater. Make sure you get the Combo Updater. You can get it from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1820?locale=en_US

Hi honestone,
I'm responding on an old Gateway notebook17' NV78 with windows 7 connected to the network. The PC is with the internal power connector damaged, so I have to be careful with the cable because the internal battery already can't stand.

1) the exact model of your "broken" Mac: Macbook Pro 17 'Early 2011 / Feburary Number C02F9847DF92

2) 2) the exact model of the machine you are using to post here:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MARGOT
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model NV78
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Gateway V2.12, 26/07/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name MARGOT\Valued Customer
Time Zone E. South America Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4,00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3,93 GB
Available Physical Memory 1,63 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7,86 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4,60 GB
Page File Space 3,93 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I was migrating normally and doing all updates from the Lion to Mavericks, Yosemite!
If I lose the files will be bad, but run out of the working tool will be a catastrophe. I would use the money to amputate the leg of my dog, cancer, but now I have to apply for a new gear! Crazy life until last week was going...

Thank you very much for help.

Leo

Reaction score
I was hoping that you had another Mac, as you could boot your problematic Mac in Target Disk Mode via the other, working Mac.

Reaction score
Okay, I was so disoriented that then imagined that you were asked was about another Mac. I'm sorry for the "drama". in the previous message. Well, any progress I will return to post here. Thanks for the support.

Reaction score
Hello there,

The news:I bought a new 1 tb hd but didn't work, didn't solve the problem. I think the problem is like in the Mac serial number range for the MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues. Since then I'm out of my data and due to the serious crisis here I couldn't get a new mac. All work stopped and is delayed. The die is cast, let's see what the future holds.
cheers

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Your data should still be intact on the original hard drive, unless you tried to erase it without a backup. I figured it might be the video repair program issue.

Sorry you're on such a tough road right now...hope things get better. Keep us in the loop.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory!

Anyway thanks for the tips. Perhaps only worth buying a new mac if the opportunity to travel to the USA.
My bosses at the NGO weren't very sensitive to the problem, apparently they are delaying the most, so it's a vicious circle! Crazy.
I will keep posting the news here.

Peace and prosperity to all.

Leo

Ask a Question