2012 MBP Kernel Panic - Cant find cause

Reaction score
Hey folks! One of my clients has a 2012 Macbook Pro, not sure of the OS. It is having a Kernel Panic on boot every time. Tried new RAM, new HDD with clean install, it is continuing to happen. If I post a photo will that help?

kernelP.JPG

Thanks in advance for the help!

Brian

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Kernel panics can be caused by numerous hardware/software issues. Spawn_Dooley's question was an excellent one, but if nothing is connected, then the issue is with the hardware or software itself.

From the log, it looks more like a hardware issue - relating to the CPU/logic board.

-Have you tried an SMC and/or NVRAM/PRAM reset?
-Do you have an external drive with OS X installed that you can startup from?
-Do you hear the startup chime at all?
-Does the Mac have any physical/liquid damage that you know of?

C

Reaction score
Hey Cory,

- Yes tried both
- Yes but it does the same thing on a new HDD with a New OS or from a bootable USB or from anything else I boot to.
- I don't recall hearing it.
- Not that I know of, nor that the client knows of. Took the board it and it looks good, some slight discoloration (rusty looking) on some of the areas that I would think are unrelated. Getting it cleaned as we speak.

The client did mention that neither of her USBs work, which would make sense considering the error message mentions USBs.

Reaction score
Ok! Fixed it! There was a burnt up chip somewhere underneath or near the USBs. We put this thing under a microscope and examined it to find it. Replaced that chip and the non-functional power rail (# 5 I believe) and the thing is working great now. Thanks to those of you who tried to help.

Ask a Question