2009 white MacBook, with OS Sierra

Reaction score
My 2009 white MacBook, with 2016 OS Sierra, 2x 2Gb installed memory, is getting slower. Can I improve the operating speed?

Reaction score
You machine has a slow, 5400 rpm internal hard drive. Even if you have been doing disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs (you have been doing that on a frequent/periodic basis, right?), it will still be slow. You can replace the drive with a faster 7200 HDD, or what's even better, an SSD. The SSD would definitely be the way to go. However, as Apple keeps updating the OS, fewer and fewer "older" Mac models can support such upgrades. I of course do not know how much longer your MacBook will be supported, but that should be a consideration. These two links contain information about 1) all upgrades you can do to your machine, and 2) changing the internal drive:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Core_Duo

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Core+Duo+Hard+Drive+Replacement/282

Even though that second link shows how to do the swap with another hard drive, it also applies to using an SSD instead.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You machine has a slow, 5400 rpm internal hard drive. Even if you have been doing disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs (you have been doing that on a frequent/periodic basis, right?), it will still be slow. You can replace the drive with a faster 7200 HDD, or what's even better, an SSD. The SSD would definitely be the way to go. However, as Apple keeps updating the OS, fewer and fewer "older" Mac models can support such upgrades. I of course do not know how much longer your MacBook will be supported, but that should be a consideration. These two links contain information about 1) all upgrades you can do to your machine, and 2) changing the internal drive:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Core_Duo

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Core+Duo+Hard+Drive+Replacement/282

Even though that second link shows how to do the swap with another hard drive, it also applies to using an SSD instead.

Thank you for your advice. I have tried reducing the number of programs/Apps activated on boot-up.

I suspect from something seen on The Mac Observer last week that the current OS Sierra upgrade will be the last one for this particular MacBook. It has given good service since purchase in early 2010; much longer than any Windows machine I ever owned. I wonder if I could increase the working memory capacity by plugging in, say 8mb SSDs. Don't know what the upper limit is.

Generally the problem is a very delayed response once boot-up is completed. I think I won't go down the suggested route unless I could find a genuine Mac repair expert near here. The nearest Apple shop, with a Genius bar, is 40 miles away and I think they wouldn't be keen to take on a geriatric unit.

Best maybe if I treat myself to a new machine once the October 27 dust has settled!

Reaction score
That update of the internal hard drive did not look that difficult. And, assuming you do the update, when you need to buy a newer Mac for "future" OS compatibility, you can always remove that "newer" internal drive (whether HDD or SSD), install it inside a nice, slim external case, and use that as an external drive. That is exactly what I did when I replaced the slow, 1 TB 5400 rpm that was inside my Mac Mini with a MUCH faster 256 gig SSD. That 1 TB HDD went inside a nice, slim Orico external case, and that has come in handy whenever we travel (I just recently did the same thing, having purchased a Samsung 850 Pro 512 gig SSD, and installing it inside another nice, slim Orico external case. I'll be using that for backups, plus some other miscellaneous "stuff").

Reaction score
Hi,

Just as a thought.

I put 8GB into my older 2010 Macbook it runs fast and smooth with OS Sierra .:)

Thank you. I did an add-on memory to my 2011 i-mac a week or so ago: no problem. I hope the MacB book upgrade might go as well.

Ask a Question